Sensors getting.....smaller?

To chime in here doesn't that break compatibility with the entire 4/3rds system? Wasn't the point of 4/3rds a camera where the lenses could be used between manufacturers who join into it and designed so that they work on all leica panasonic olympus + other 4/3rders and can even be adapted to Nikon and Canon.

If you're going to change the system would it not make sense to change the name? I wonder if the lenses are going to be different how many consumers will buy Micro 4/3rds lenses thinking they'll fit on standard 4/3rds cameras, only to find that they lose their near focus because the lens sits soo much closer to the sensor...

I'm guessing here anyway.

Intelligent guesses.

But it might be just another scam to sell more equipment too. ;)

If the MicroSD (oops I meant Micro 4/3rds) system runs cooler and is better for longer exposures and coming video it might even nudge out the old system. <shrug>

Also just guessing.

To chime in here doesn't that break compatibility with the entire 4/3rds system? Wasn't the point of 4/3rds a camera where the lenses could be used between manufacturers who join into it and designed so that they work on all leica panasonic olympus + other 4/3rders and can even be adapted to Nikon and Canon.

If you're going to change the system would it not make sense to change the name? I wonder if the lenses are going to be different how many consumers will buy Micro 4/3rds lenses thinking they'll fit on standard 4/3rds cameras, only to find that they lose their near focus because the lens sits soo much closer to the sensor...

I'm guessing here anyway.

From the article linked earlier:

"The new format has three key technical differences: (1) roughly half the flange back distance (distance from mount to the sensor), (2) a smaller diameter lens mount (6 mm smaller) and (3) two additional contact points for lens-to-body communication (now 11 points)."

Point number 1 means that the focal to film plane will be shorter than the non-micro 4/3 format lenses. Point number 3 means that the original 9 communication points from the non-micro 4/3 system will be maintained. Both points open the door for a supplementary adapter that can be attached to the body, passing the 9 communication points AND providing the proper film plan distance to leverage the regular 4/3 lens that exist today.

of course... that's my conclusion.

I think in a few years time most dSLRs will have a EVF. They're cheeper to make, better to use, remove the lame mirror that limits the camera's actuational life-span and again reduces costs, and brings these beasts into full compatibility with Live View and the coming wave of video acquisition!

I don't know why, but this post really gives me the creeps. I must be getting old... :mrgreen:

This is actually one of the most exciting announcements in a long while. This is the first real new digital photographic technology. Digital SLRs (and digital Rangefinders) are just that - digital versions of existing technology. The idea that we need a retro-focal design is actually pretty silly - and the fact that a sensor needs to be a certain size only makes sense if the technology forces you to fill the shoes of something that went before it. The worst thing about dSLRs is how large they are - and digital Rangefinders lack some of the features that make SLRs so successful. But if you could take modern technology - not just in sensor design, but also in lenses, control and UI - and combine that with interchangable lenses... well, it would mean a truly revolutionary design.

I dont think DSLRs are too large, (atleast my size camera, I know mine isnt small (w/ grip) but it isnt large (compared to 1DsMKIII)...

I think the size of my DSLR is perfect... I like using my hands for focusing...and using the weight for a little bit of stability and balance....

I hate holding tiny little cameras.... I have a Canon PowerShot S2 IS, I hate how small it is... Too small for my hands...

I dont want a tiny diameter lens focus/zoom either...

Good for you.

...others (like me) much prefer smaller cameras. If you've ever done any street photography or travel shooting with a Rangefinder, you really wonder how people with SLRs ever get a decent shot.

Well, I think most people prefer big and bulky (to an extent) to feel and hold...not some small thing that is light and feels like it will break in their hands...

It's the ego :D

It turns out that 4/3 is a ratio and a size. Makes more sense. I went to Circuit City and held a 420. Pretty incredible how small it is. I prefer a larger camera body when holding the camera for long periods of time...but I don't do any street shooting, and Dr. Flatline has a great point on that.

Rangefinders fill that market exactly. It's not a case of antiquated design. The point is still that an SLR is the only proper TTL solution that is optical. (my parents have a P&S with a digital viewfinder and it is horrible).

Size, weight, actuation noise and f/1.0+ are the advantages of the rangerfinder. True 100% certainty that what you see is what you get has always been the advantage of the SLR. I for one would hate trying to do macro with a rangefinder or a TLR :lol:

As for the size that's really a personal preference thing.I can see what prodigy thinks about this, and I too bought the battery grip for my SLR simply because the camera was too small for my bulky hands to comfortably hold it for an extended period of time. I have the same problem with my old Nikon FE + 28mm lens. The camera is tiny by todays standards and I have the motor drive permanently attached even though I've never used it just to make it that bit larger and more comfortable.

Just to add a voice I prefer small! "Big and bulky" is as someone mentioned, for people that need a show piece for some reason or another! ;)

I want a metal body, solid as a brick, and just a little less wide than an F3, OM1, OM4, and considerable less than the A1. Without a lens or with a pancake lens it should just about slip into a shirt pocket but hopefully be too heavy for it.

I understand the reasons for the size of the F4 and F5, the D3 and others like it but I don't want it. The reasons are BTW, just as Mr. Flatline pointed out.

PICT4447.jpg

Yup just about right or just a tad on the wide side and a perfect weight! Notice the lack of a pentaprism. ;)

Asahiflex_Pocketed.jpg

Yup! Pocketable! See... :D

It turns out that 4/3 is a ratio and a size.

Ah that explains allot! :D Good researching! :thumbup:

True 100% certainty that what you see is what you get has always been the advantage of the SLR.

But of course you know that this does NOT apply to a dSLR. What you get is an electronic digitization of an image. What you see is an optical reflection. No match. With a good EVF it actually is WYSIWYG and of course it too is TTL. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back