Sent D600 for oil spots, $300 bill for mount?

yeah that looks exactly like I'd except the original shutter to spew oil on the sensor. My oil pattern in the top left looked identical.

fortunately after the shutter replacement, i haven't had a drop of oil since--but I also don't shoot as much as you.

why would they need to pictures though? they all they need to do is lock the mirror up and see for themselves.

That's what I thought. The manager made it seem like Service and the Business units basically operate as separate entities that fall under the same umbrella. But seeing is it has been 3 days and Service still hasn't got pics of the "damage" and I sent her pictures within 3 hours, I'd much rather her be waiting in me than them.

@photoguy99 - do you disagree that his oil pattern looked exactly like mine? that mine is no longer spewing oil? or that they should not need sample pictures?

Actually I disagree with your signature! But I'm done now. That was sort of fun.

Sorry if you had alerts turned on. I slammed that lever over to OFF a while ago, ugh.

So Nikon just called and they're agreeing to replace my camera with the D610.

Totally appreciate the offer! Just wished there wasn't a headache first!
But worth it!

using tapatalk.

hah! LOVED the Jiffy Lube upsell analogy from Braineack! Sorry to hear about this repair situation on your D600...that sux...

Reminds me of the time I took my truck in for new brakes. They called me and said the transmission needed serviced, the spark plugs and fuel filter needed changed, the muffler was loose and I had a headlight out.

I asked, 'Have you even looked at the brakes?' They said, 'No, not yet'.

So I told 'em to take it off the lift and back out to the parking lot. They seemed baffled. I told 'em I needed the brakes worked on. I knew perfectly well there's other issues, but I can only afford to fix so much. Brakes were the most important at the moment. They told me I could ruin my transmission by not getting it fixed. I said, 'I can ruin the whole GD truck if I wrap it around a guard rail because the effing brakes don't work!'

They seemed a bit miffed about not getting a dime out of me.
Been there, done that. :)

So Nikon just called and they're agreeing to replace my camera with the D610.

Totally appreciate the offer! Just wished there wasn't a headache first!
Finally, justice.

I assumed he didn't want any known hassles

I'd buy another D600 without question.

His hassles were mostly over existing damage. Once it was straightened out, he got a brand new D610 replacement camera since his D600 had already had the shutter replaced but continued to have oil issues.

I'd buy another D600 without question.

His hassles were mostly over existing damage. Once it was straightened out, he got a brand new D610 replacement camera since his D600 had already had the shutter replaced but continued to have oil issues.

You had an almost pain free experience though getting yours sorted. Others as seen from this post went through hassle first. A d610 is a less risky prospect. I'm considering one ar the moment but don't think I'd do it justice.

But who ever bought gadgets because they just needed them. Wanting is a far better reason

this is the first "horror story" I've read since Nikon announced the D600 service advisory. It probably would have been pain free as well but for his existing damage.

before the advisory, now that might have been another story. But it's a known issue, the fix is quick and painless (9-10 day turnaround time), and if it continues, they'll replace it for a D610 just like what happened here.

Fair enough, you are rigid with your thoughts on this. For the majority though an expensive electronic without a questionable history makes more sense.

Most reactions

Back