Separate Image Into Two Layers

asdf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm a beginner at editing and I discovered this forum; I am hoping I can get some help.

I have an image that I would like to separate into two layers so that part of the image is one layer and the rest of the image is the second layer.

I tried Fluid Mask, which seems to be a pretty good tool, and was able to isolate the part of the image that I would like to have as the first layer. Where I am stuck is that I would like to invert that selection so that everything else is set as the second layer. What I have right now is my selection as the first layer and the entire image as my second layer.

I hope that is a pretty clear explanation; any help would be appreciated.

I'm guessing it's an actual selection (marching ants lines)? If it is, use the marquee tool, right click, select invert selection.

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean.

It's a group photo and I want the first layer to have the first row of people and the second layer to the rest of the rows of people.

I haven't used fluid mask. Actually I hadn't heard of it up until now. But if you already have a selection on what you want to as your background, to invert it, just hit command+shift+I (or control if it's not a mac). That should invert it, then hit command+c, make a new layer, and hit command+v.

hey I was on the same stage 8 years back. You can start it with Corel Draw or Adobe Photo Shop, CS2, CS3 or CS4. It is fun...

Most reactions

Back