sepia wrench

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by defectir3, Nov 28, 2005.

1. defectir3

defectir3 TPF Noob!

whats up guys this picture lost a wee bit of detail when i switched it to jpeg BUT im looking for input on exposure, light, and compositon. please be brutal and pick this apart. feel free to edit if you wish thanks guys

[​IMG]

2. Dave_D

Dave_D TPF Noob!

As far as your questions on light, exposure and composition are concerned, I like it all. The top rounded edge of the wrench being out of focus may be a lose of detail from switching to a jpg as you mentioned or a lack of DOF. Never the less, that is what is lacking in this image for me. Here is what I came up with after a bit of tweaking.

[​IMG]

3. anumcara

anumcara TPF Noob!

hello defectir3,

thanks for sharing your photograph. As it stands, I like the depth of field, texture and warm tinting of the photograph.

From a composition point of I would get rid of the light upper half of the photo - and make it a sillouette all around. Burn all the light spots that are not wrench. This way the subject will stand out more.

I would be my preference to add some sort of emotive element to the photograph. You have wrench there - make it tell a story. You can put an item in the tongs - a coin, flower, a tooth. Perhaps even an oily thumbprint. Any subtle addition to the photograph can make a mundane subject much more personal :)