Sequence of post processing

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What do you usually do and why?

1. Shoot in RAW > post processing in PSCS while in RAW > save as TIFF > save as .PSD after adding the copyright text > save as JPEG for web viewing

2. Shoot in RAW > save as TIFF > post processing while in TIFF > save as .PSD after adding the copyright text > save as JPEG for web viewing

Which of the above retains the best quality? Is there another option?

Thanks!

Why do you save as a tiff and a psd? Your copyright text only needs to be on your resized jpg which you will show on the internet.

I shoot in RAW, edit them in C1 Rebel, export as 8 bit 300 dpi tiffs, and do any further editing in Photoshop 7.0.

When I'm done I save the full size photo as a tiff with layers, then copy merged and paste into a new document, resize for the web, and save as a jpeg.

Tiff is lossless compression format, as well as PSD, so either one is fine. A tiff can be saved with all the layers as well, and will be a slightly smaller file than a PSD.

Thanks Matt.

Digital Matt said:
Why do you save as a tiff and a psd? Your copyright text only needs to be on your resized jpg which you will show on the internet.
You mean to say one could input text on a JPEG file in PS? I haven't tried that before.

Digital Matt said:
I shoot in RAW, edit them in C1 Rebel, export as 8 bit 300 dpi tiffs, and do any further editing in Photoshop 7.0.
What is C1 Rebel?

Digital Matt said:
Tiff is lossless compression format, as well as PSD, so either one is fine. A tiff can be saved with all the layers as well, and will be a slightly smaller file than a PSD.
Which format do you send for printing (to online printers like Adorama and smilar ones)?

Shoot in highest JPEG >>> Work in PS >>> Save as TIFF >>>Convert all to JPEG using a batch conversion >>>Upload to morephotos site where logo is automatically added.

Alison, why haven't you considered shooting in RAW?

danalec99 said:
Alison, why haven't you considered shooting in RAW?

I considered it, tried it and found that for our clients, we could get excellent images in the high JPEG, save in TIFF and print out exceptional quality photos. I found the delay in the conversion and opening of RAW photos in PS to be way to long for the amount of images that I take per shoot. I am sure I am in the minority here but it's what works for me.

danalec99 said:
Thanks Matt.
You mean to say one could input text on a JPEG file in PS? I haven't tried that before.

Of course. You can put text on any image file in PS.

danalec99 said:
What is C1 Rebel?

http://www.phaseone.com/

danalec99 said:
Which format do you send for printing (to online printers like Adorama and smilar ones)?

I send tiffs, but you could send jpgs. At work we only use jpgs and the quality is great, but we also deal with hundreds of images a day. For me, I only send 1 or 2 new images to the printer at a time, and I figure I will give them the highest quality possible.

I have ordered prints thru Adorama, Fotki and Snapfish. Adorama is by far the best among the three!

Just crossed paths with MPix.com y'day. Heard good stuff about them on Fred Miranda. And I have already ordered their Free Paper Sample Kit.

I don't have Ps CS. C1 Rebel came out before CS, and I while I haven't used CS and can't really comment on it, I think C1 Rebel does a fantastic job. It has some really nice noise reduction algorithms that work well with high ISO images and long exposures.

Thanks Matt! :)

danalec99 said:
Just crossed paths with MPix.com y'day. Heard good stuff about them on Fred Miranda. And I have already ordered their Free Paper Sample Kit.
I got the sample papers today. YUMMY is all I can say! 29 cents would be worth it for a 4x6!

Just got my first prints from Mpix. TOP NOTCH! :thumbsup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back