Serious C&C on these sunsets

clbowie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.clbowie.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Too dark? Should the barns be brighter or should they be more of a silhouette?

The mist in the clouds was snow. We were getting our first snow showers today! :thumbup: Too bad they didn't hang around. The sky was awesome though! Unfortunately I missed most of the sunset. Between running late picking up my son and not being able to decide which spot I was going to pick to take the pictures I barely got anything at all.

p586829086-3.jpg

p968469228-3.jpg

p708342992-3.jpg

Thanks for any comments!

I like the sky, but the bottom half is blacked out, just way too dark. Ruins them all for me.

The bottom is a bit too dark, would have looked a lot nicer if it were a tad lighter out. Like the sky though.

little bit better, but still really dark.. i would do a dual layer.. because the sky in your first looks great.. its just the bottom half that is to dark.. so on one layer put the top half of your orignal (cause it looks good) then on the other layer have the bottom half, and work on brightening that up.. because your new edit didnt just brighten up the bottom, it also brightened the top.. which you dont need to do

I don't think I can salvage these. :( I don't have a decent PP software and I don't think I took these correctly to begin with.

Back to the drawing board!

little bit better, but still really dark.. i would do a dual layer.. because the sky in your first looks great.. its just the bottom half that is to dark.. so on one layer put the top half of your orignal (cause it looks good) then on the other layer have the bottom half, and work on brightening that up.. because your new edit didnt just brighten up the bottom, it also brightened the top.. which you dont need to do

Let me see if I can pull this one off. Be back.

I generally think it's a good idea to choose whether you want a silhouette or a well exposed foreground. I find that in the middle very rarely works, so either expose for the sky and maybe even under expose it or up the blacks in PP, or take multiple exposures and combine them.

The first you showed (the unedited ones) are too dark, I'm afraid, though the sky in the first, e.g., is wonderful. What I feel is that it is a pity you decided to include so much ground and ground structures in your compositions to begin with. It was the sky that fascinated you, so why didn't you give it a lot more room when composing? I am sure that a silhouetted ground with structures and trees wouldn't have bothered anyone too much if there'd been less of it to see in your photos. As it is, it takes up the bottom half in most (thus dividing them into two almost equal halves, which is never quite as welcome compositionally than working with thirds ... but we all know that already, I know...)

Thank you all for your comments. After looking back over the photos I totally agree with everyone. Lesson learned! Let's see what my next sunset brings!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back