Serious Camera Troubles

wardcbm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently bought a Sony DSC - W12 digital camera, which was all going very well until it started flash up: E:61:00 or ´Turn off and turn on again´... this is all accompanied by lens ´zooming´ sounds and bleeping.

When the camera is turned off, the lens does not retreat back into the body of the camera, and needless to say it doesn´t work. I don´t think it´s a memory card or battery issue, and resetting doesn´t seem to have any effect.

I´m in Brasil and therefore a few thousand miles away from the nearest Dixons - what horrendous foreign disease has my camera caught, and what can I do about it!?

Charlie Ward :confused:

Sounds like the lens has popped out of alignment. There is no easy way to fix this without a hermetically sealed bag fully of nitrogen and a few screwdrivers (all of which will probabaly be 'Sony fit'.

Best bet is to (very lightly) give the lens a squeeze and twist as you are turning the camera on and off. Dont for gods sake do it too hard or you will invalidate your warranty.

Other possibility is that some water or vapour has got in; in that case the electrical motor powering the lens is probabaly knackered.

Sorry to say but your best bet is to wait until you get home and take the camera in where you bought it from for a (fingers crossed) guarantee repair. I found most camera shops in Ecuador and Peru didnt have a clue when I showed them my camera and all I wanted was some canned air for a clean.

Buy yourself a cheap film compact and some rolls of film from a shop (check the date) and hopefully you will at least come back with something.

Good luck

Spike

Most reactions

Back