Serious digital photography equipment?

JackHudson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm starting to get serious in digital photography with my DSLR. I'm planning to get a Nikon d90 in about 6 months and I also need other equipment.

So far on my list:
Nikon d90
Lenses
UV filter
Polarizer filter
Neutral density filter
Tripod
Shutter release cable remote
Flash

I'm not too worried about the printing of my photos. So no scanners or anything related to printing. What else could I be missing on my list? Ideas, comments, help?

Thanks,
Jack Hudson

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you get the Nikon D90? That is a 2008 camera. It's almost 2016 now, 8 years later. There are much better options at this point.

I suggest you do not make a giant list of things just for the sake of having them. Buy based on your needs. I think what you are missing on this list is specific choices, a budget, and up-to-date choices.

It depends on what you are going to photograph. Start with the kit lens and build from there. The UV filter is not needed - there is already UV filtration on the sensor and the lens cap and lens hood will provide more "protection" than a piece pf cheap glass.

Get a spare battery and a couple of spare memory cards.

I'm starting to get serious in digital photography with my DSLR. I'm planning to get a Nikon d90 in about 6 months and I also need other equipment.

So far on my list:
Nikon d90
Lenses
UV filter
Polarizer filter
Neutral density filter
Tripod
Flash

I'm not too worried about the printing of my photos. So no scanners or anything related to printing. What else could I be missing on my list? Ideas, comments, help?
Hi, JackHudson, and welcome!

I'm a list-maker myself, so I understand your making a list, but I think we need to talk.

PaulWog has given you some valuable insight on your camera of choice, and snowbear mentioned the UV filter.

As for me; I will suggest that you max out your budget on the highest model you can afford, and aim for the latest version. With most new kits you're going to get a decent lens, one battery, charger, and maybe some other stuff.

Don't allow the "other stuff" to dictate your decision, however. Concentrate on the camera and the price. If you see one of those "100-piece" kits, ignore most or all of it. Most of those items are cheap fillers and you will probably end up not using most of it.

I also suggest that you don't settle for the inevitable cheap tripod that comes with the 100-piece kit. You may very well end up with one, but you're going to want to upgrade that before long.

The shutter release cable is another inexpensive item. I bought a Nikon brand for $15, and then bought a second one (don't try to rationalize it) for $3.

The flash is another item that can range in price from fairly affordable to costing like another camera. Don't be in a rush to grab the first one you see.

So stretch your budget on the camera and forget about the other stuff for now.

You say you are going to buy in 6 months, great, keep on researching. The D90 is/was most likely a nice body but, there are newer bodies with more/better features, especially ISO range.

Figuring out what you will be photographing should give you some idea on what lenses you may need.

Filters: UV not really needed unless for some extra protection. The polarizer and ND are used in certain situations. Do not buy them "just because." And if you do, buy good (generally expensive) ones so as not to degrade photo quality.

Tripods: Again, a quality tripod and head to keep the camera plenty stable can be in the hundreds of doll hairs.

Good luck and happy buying!

So far on my list:
Nikon d90
Lenses
UV filter
Polarizer filter
Neutral density filter
Tripod
Flash

What exactly is it that you're photographing? Different cameras and lens for different areas of photography. As mentioned above, the Nikon D90 is a decent camera but it's 8 yr old technology. I would look into something newer but I can really elaborate on it without knowing it's uses. The same goes for rest of the gear. Example, modern digital cameras no longer need UV filters but people like Mountain climbers use them to help protect the front element. Also helps with keeping condensation on the element. Each one of those items can have a page unto their selves.

Software seems missing from the list. Lightroom would be my suggestion for most people, for the most capability with the most speed and the easiest learning curve. As mentioned, D90...old...UV filter, simply not needed 99% of the time. Flash? Neewer 750 I guess if you want a low-cost flash. Looks for the scanptips.com review of the Neewer 750 by TPF flash guru WayneF. Tripod? There are a zillion of them. I would look at the Nikon D5200 as a great value camera in today's market, since it's being discounted pretty heavily right now to move out older inventory.

Why would you get the Nikon D90?
Exactly what I was asking myself when I read the OP.
I would recommend minimum D7000 or even if you can afford it the D7100
D5200 is another good camera even though its considered one level bellow the D7xxx, its worth considering because in many ways it shares a lot of the similarities with the D7xxx for a whole less cash.
Of course the D7xxx does has its advantages but as I said its worth considering.

Maybe look in to ordering a D7100 from a Canadian dealer? TOPF member cgw had a post here yesterday, listing a couple good, low-priced dealers, one in Toronto. The Canadian dollar is worth like 75 cents US, so the exchange rte is super-favorable for American buyers.

So far on my list:
Nikon d90
Lenses
UV filter
Polarizer filter
Neutral density filter
Tripod
Flash

Hi, JackHudson, and welcome!

I'm a list-maker myself, so I understand your making a list, but I think we need to talk.

PaulWog has given you some valuable insight on your camera of choice, and snowbear mentioned the UV filter.

As for me; I will suggest that you max out your budget on the highest model you can afford, and aim for the latest version. With most new kits you're going to get a decent lens, one battery, charger, and maybe some other stuff.

Don't allow the "other stuff" to dictate your decision, however. Concentrate on the camera and the price. If you see one of those "100-piece" kits, ignore most or all of it. Most of those items are cheap fillers and you will probably end up not using most of it.

I also suggest that you don't settle for the inevitable cheap tripod that comes with the 100-piece kit. You may very well end up with one, but you're going to want to upgrade that before long.

The shutter release cable is another inexpensive item. I bought a Nikon brand for $15, and then bought a second one (don't try to rationalize it) for $3.

The flash is another item that can range in price from fairly affordable to costing like another camera. Don't be in a rush to grab the first one you see.

So stretch your budget on the camera and forget about the other stuff for now.
Thank you so much for the explanation! Great advice!

Software seems missing from the list. Lightroom would be my suggestion for most people, for the most capability with the most speed and the easiest learning curve. As mentioned, D90...old...UV filter, simply not needed 99% of the time. Flash? Neewer 750 I guess if you want a low-cost flash. Looks for the scanptips.com review of the Neewer 750 by TPF flash guru WayneF. Tripod? There are a zillion of them. I would look at the Nikon D5200 as a great value camera in today's market, since it's being discounted pretty heavily right now to move out older inventory.
I understand. Thanks for your recommendation, I'll definitely checkout the Nikon D5200!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back