Serious problem choosing the correct one

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm really torn

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Universal-Card-Accessory-Case/dp/B00008ZO3F/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=officeproduct&qid=1267224957&sr=8-6]Hama Universal Card/Accessory Case: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Janco-Waterproof-Secure-Digital-Memory/dp/B00389TBLY/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267225910&sr=8-39]Janco Waterproof Secure Digital Memory Card Case: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

It's really a hard choice!

On the one hand I have versatility in holding the 4 spare cards and a set of 4 spare AA batteries and I do often use my flash a lot for all sorts of things (and most of all macro) so there is certainly a good chance that I will need to change the batteries over.
Also I only have 4 cards at the present - of which one is inside the camera - and no real pressure to get more cards as yet.

However the other case offers more card storage, a hardcase build and boasts being waterproof - not a bad thing for someone who does most of their shooting outside in the UK. Downside is that with no battery side I still have to carry at least one other battery holder in the pocket for when I need to change them over.

Both should have fairly quiet opening - a zipper can be opened very slowly and quietly, the clip on the latter might be a problem if its very tight (which it probably is). It's also one reason why its these two in the debate and not other designs that use velcro.

So there we go which one - or are there other better options on the market for something pocket sized.

Oi don't look at me like that I'm serious this is a serious problem!! :p

I'll make it harder for you:

Option A) offers only four slots; yet it can also hold four batteries (tempting!)... and think about this: four CF cards. If you remove the case for the SD cards, you can probably squeeze in possibly eight SD cards. On the other hand, can't you store your batteries with your camera batteries, and without the case the SD cards might just be scratched at the contacts. Ouch.

Option B) offers a waterproof and tight case. Offering eight 'beautiful' slots, it's perfect for anywhere. Drop it in the mud? Who cares, just wash it off. Drop it in the river while leaning over, snapping your 8GB (alternatively, average GB per card x 8) of photos... doesn't matter. Reach over, pick it up as it floats along. Or just watch it float along. Take some pictures of it floating along. 'Cos it's waterproof*. And shock and static proof. Rub your shoes on carpet, zap others, hold the case... it won't die of static charge, oh no. On the other hand, it's a devastating 10 pounds more expensive and doesn't offer other compartments. No batteries for the flash! Plus, it doesn't look quite as sexy.

*Water-resistant. It'll float for a... while.
So... made up your mind, yet? ;)

If it helps, just donate the MPE 65mm to me.

Neither. Use the little cases the cards come with. This just becomes another object to store, whereas every decent camera bag already has a dozen little pockets built in where to store items like this. You'll never shoot through more than two cards anyway, so even in the heat of the action just keep one in your pant pocket. This kind of container is more hassle than help.

You don't need a cosy for your doily.

Neither. Use the little cases the cards come with. This just becomes another object to store, whereas every decent camera bag already has a dozen little pockets built in where to store items like this. You'll never shoot through more than two cards anyway, so even in the heat of the action just keep one in your pant pocket. This kind of container is more hassle than help.

+1

True it is another item though I am pushing my setup toward one which is lighter and more travel friendly - ie where I don't have to carry around a heavy backpack with my gear all stuffed inside. I've even been eyeing out on those photographers vest things (a vest or harness - I won't use a belt I'd be paranoid about it falling down!)
Thus something to hold things in pockets helps when I don't have the back and its compartments.

Thing is I'm still stuck - the battery holder looks the nicer and has those nice battery points - but the hard one is waterproof and hard. grrr

Oh and Garry - the bank is already technically broken ;)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Compact-Flash-Memory-Protective/dp/B001CZFJJO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t]Amazon.com: Pelican 0940 Compact Flash Memory Card Protective Case: Electronics[/ame]

...is the one i just purchased. its awesome. it appeears to have an sd card twin as well:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-0910-010-110-Secure-Digital-Memory/dp/B001MT8J4W/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b]Amazon.com: Pelican 0910-010-110 Secure Digital Memory Card Case: Electronics[/ame]

Hmm pelican do make good cases indeed - however the CF is only for 4 cards whilst the other holds 8CF. Also amazon uk don't appear to sell the pelican memory card cases

Most reactions

Back