Seth- Tattooed Muscle/Physique Model in Natural Light

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm booking more work as a fitness/physique photographer, and I have to say that I enjoy it a lot!

I shot these on Saturday using natural light and a white reflector. I achieved the glowing look on his skin by covering him in spray-on sunblock.

Gear:
Canon EOS 5D Classic (MKI).
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens.
Double Sided poster board with a white side for fill and a black side for negative fill.
Equate brand Sport SPF 30 spray on sunscreen.

_mg_2681_by_danostergren-db6yaat.jpg

_mg_2758_by_danostergren-db6yg1l.jpg

_mg_2713bw_by_danostergren-db6tt5l.jpg

I wish I had shot this one with a wider depth of field to get more of his arm in focus. Oops.
_mg_2476_by_danostergren-db6tt5c.jpg

_mg_2425_1_by_danostergren-db6yfa5.jpg

Last edited:
Great use of natural light. The shadows really accentuate his form. Result of some seriously hard hours in the gym!

that wolf looks too angry to try and pet, but I would anyway.

Great set. You always seem to move light to your will. Question-you mention using a "reflector" as in singular. Would you mind telling more about it? Size, color, etc.

Great set. You always seem to move light to your will. Question-you mention using a "reflector" as in singular. Would you mind telling more about it? Size, color, etc.
I was using a double sided poster board with a white side for fill and a black side for negative fill. It's fairly small (about 24x12 inch), and normally I would use a larger round one but I haven't been able to locate it. The reflector plays a few roles in my shoots. The black side is usually used to block light, and I pretty much never use it. I use the white side to reflect some light back into the eyes, to fill in the eye sockets and to create another catch light. It's very useful in back-lit situations. I prefer a white reflector over a silver because the effect is more subtle and the light is softer which is easier to retouch.

fill. It's fairly small (about 24x12 inch), and normally I would use a larger round one but I haven't been able to locate it.

Surprising, I had visions of a much larger one. You have a good eye for available light.

fill. It's fairly small (about 24x12 inch), and normally I would use a larger round one but I haven't been able to locate it.

Surprising, I had visions of a much larger one. You have a good eye for available light.
Thank you. I think it's very similar to artificial light/strobes. Always the most important thing is that the light is sculpting the subject.

Lovely work! Lovely model too! His biceps have biceps, damn!

Thank you. I think it's very similar to artificial light/strobes. Always the most important thing is that the light is sculpting the subject.

Are you using a meter when you set these up, or just the camera meter and eye?

I'm booking more work as a fitness/physique photographer, and I have to say that I enjoy it a lot!

I shot these on Saturday using natural light and a white reflector. I achieved the glowing look on his skin by covering him in spray-on sunblock.

Gear:
Canon EOS 5D Classic (MKI).
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens.
Double Sided poster board with a white side for fill and a black side for negative fill.
Equate brand Sport SPF 30 spray on sunscreen.

_mg_2681_by_danostergren-db6yaat.jpg

_mg_2758_by_danostergren-db6yg1l.jpg

_mg_2713bw_by_danostergren-db6tt5l.jpg

I wish I had shot this one with a wider depth of field to get more of his arm in focus. Oops.
_mg_2476_by_danostergren-db6tt5c.jpg

_mg_2425_1_by_danostergren-db6yfa5.jpg
Great set!

Most reactions

Back