Setting help???

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you wanted to get a shot like this, how would you do it?

Flash, ISO, lens?

Just looking for advice! I'm going to this tomorrow for the glow and I'd like to get some good pictures but I'm such a newbie I have no idea how to get it.

HAB_glow_cp.jpg

Chances are for that particular shot no flash was used. It appears to have been taken with a point and shoot, but a higher iso and fast lens should be able to get some good pictures. You going to a balloon festival?

No flash.
Sky should be dark (doesn't have to be pitch black)

Your camera's exposure meter will attempt to balance the bright flame area with the rest of the shot ... so it probably will over-expose.
If you have spot metering ... then lock in on the bright area.
Exposure bracketing would be good
If you do not have a very steady hand or fast lens ... you might want to crank up the ISO.

No flash needed....ISO as appropriate for focal length/shutter speed/aperture range available on your lens. Make sure to set a white balance, like Daylight white balance, otherwise that beautiful glowing balloon illumination will be corrected away if you use AUTO white balance. Definitely shoot in RAW or RAW+JPEG for the best possible latitude later--early AM balloon shots are not all that common, so you'll want to maximize your potential quality by shooting RAW and to a fixed White Balance that will not "correct away" the beautiful early AM color of the light and the balloon glow.

arghhh what white balance should I use then?

what is exposure bracketing?

You could always bring a white card and photograph it first so you have a white point for post or use custom white balance. I would use a high ISO, tripod and slow shutter with low aperture as well.

You're posting other people's photo without due credit?? :grumpy:

Yes, like Josh said, use a Daylight white balance.

Most reactions

Back