Setting up a remote camera

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everybody!

I just had a quick question about setting up a remote camera. I have a D2H & a D50, so what would be the best way to trigger it? Would I be able to use my cactus triggers or would I need something like a pocketwizzard?

I would like to go wireless but not spent the money that a pocketwizzard would cost. So any ideas?

Thanks!

Do you have the users manuals for the cameras? If not you can down load them from Nikon USA.

I believe the D2H has a port for a PC sync cable and could be triggered remotely with a radio trigger but I don't think the cactus triggers have a PC sync cord capablility.

Does the the D50 have a PC port?

Thanks, I'll have to download the user manual.

I think the cactus has something which I beleave is a pc port. (the thing on the side of the rectangle receiver)
d_2314.jpg

And no the D50 does not have a PC port.

You can't trigger a camera to fire, via the PC port. (not that I know of, anyway).

But your cameras will have a remote shutter release port. You could use something like a Pocket Wizard to trigger a remote camera, but you would need the specific cord to attach the PW unit to the remote port on the camera. Nikon makes wired remotes for their cameras, they might have wireless ones as well, but they aren't going to be cheap.

Cactus makes remote shutter control kits, similar to their flash trigger kits. Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Wireless Shutter
I recently bought one and it seems to work pretty well (at least after I read the instructions and figured out how to turn it on.)

Hey Red
I am working on this same project at this time. I just received a Manfrotto MA155RCL JOINT HEAD w/#035 SUPER CLAMP and am waiting the arival of a Nikon Pre-trigger cable for my D-90. I am gonna shoot the D-300 and have the D-90 located for remote and fire it with my Sekonic L-358 meter. I will use my 2 PW Plus 2s for the D-90 and off camera flash. I use an Elinchrom Ranger RX and Skyport SYstem for my main area I am shooting with the D-300. Now that I have said all that you will need a cable to do this. I needed the PocketWizard N-MCDC2-P PRE-TRIGGER CORD f/NIKON D90 - WIPTCND90 from B & H. I am not an expert on this but from what I understand this cable enables the camera to be "Awake" for the shot. I will have to do a manual prefocus for the D-90. Its not cheap $96 at B & H.

Last edited:
Yeah just found out that I can only use a nikon ML-L3 that has horrible range. So I guess I won't be shooting remote anytime soon :(

Most reactions

Back