Setting up Studio~Clothing question

sunshine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I notice in most series of portraits there are usually many different outfits used.(whether studio portraits or outdoor)
Do you ask for the model to bring a few different outfits, or should I have a few extra peices of clothing lying around just in case.
What is the right way to go about this aswell.
TIA:D

Usually you would have them bring extra clothing. I'm not about to spend money on other people's clothes! :lol:

I have never offered advice yet, but I think I have heard others say they do. Either way, it's not a bad idea. Many non-photogs may not understand that certain things look better in photographs than others, or that certain colors are more difficult to get a good exposure on (a series someone posted a while back springs to mind, where they were wearing all black and made the exposure difficult).

I worked in a studio that was primarily High School graduation photos. When asked the question what do you recommend? (Moms always asked this) I simply stated: We recommend solid color tones and long sleeves for at least one outfit. Try and stay away from any bright color patterns or wording on the clothing, but (there is always a disclaimer) it your son/daughter usually wears this type of clothing we do not want to take away from who he/she is. We just recommend something a little more formal for one of the outfits. The rest can be more fun and that way the student will be more relaxed when they are here. We will start with the more formal of the outfits to get the boring stuff out of the way ( the photos for mom/dad grandma's etc.) then we will move into something more exciting.

This answer seemed to satisfy most clients.

Hope it helps.

Most reactions

Back