Settings for Product shots using flash

Everettc4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and looking for some help getting sharp product shots. Looking for a recommended speed and aperture setting flash set up??. Im getting some weird results, trying to figure where I'm going wrong.

Equipment
Sony Alpha a7RII
Flash:
Amazon.com: NEEWER 750W Professional Photographic Studio Strobe Flash Light Kit - Barn Door, Soft Box, Umbrellas, Stands, Lamps, Trigger & More: Camera & Photo

Where would you start if you were using this set up ?

I shoot shoes for my footwear company (carsonfootwear.com) if you want to see what Im shooting. I figured I would upgrade my camera and Im having trouble getting the right settings.

If I use the flash it washes the whole image out if I change the ISO I get a washed out line at the bottom of the image, if I don't us the flash its grainy and I might aswell use my Iphone??

Any help is much appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm not familiar with that Neewer
But you'll have settings for the flash like 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32/ 1/64, 1/128
That is power of the strobe flash - it may be a knob, switch of some sort of the strobe.
You are probably at 1/1 which is FULL power

You'll want to be at a base ISO - 100 or 200
Shutter of 1/200-250
and then set the flash appropriately for the proper exposure.

I'm sure the Pro's will be along shortly to help .. edit .. ahh John reply for the Lighting Bible

I'm not familiar with that Neewer
But you'll have settings for the flash like 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32/ 1/64, 1/128
That is power of the strobe flash - it may be a knob, switch of some sort of the strobe.
You are probably at 1/1 which is FULL power

You'll want to be at a base ISO - 100 or 200
Shutter of 1/200-250
and then set the flash appropriately for the proper exposure.

I'm sure the Pro's will be along shortly to help .. edit .. ahh John reply for the Lighting Bible

Thanks for the short answer I need shots tonight.

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and looking for some help getting sharp product shots. Looking for a recommended speed and aperture setting flash set up??. Im getting some weird results, trying to figure where I'm going wrong.

Equipment
Sony Alpha a7RII
Flash:
Amazon.com: NEEWER 750W Professional Photographic Studio Strobe Flash Light Kit - Barn Door, Soft Box, Umbrellas, Stands, Lamps, Trigger & More: Camera & Photo

Where would you start if you were using this set up ?

I shoot shoes for my footwear company (carsonfootwear.com) if you want to see what Im shooting. I figured I would upgrade my camera and Im having trouble getting the right settings.

If I use the flash it washes the whole image out if I change the ISO I get a washed out line at the bottom of the image, if I don't us the flash its grainy and I might aswell use my Iphone??

Any help is much appreciated.

I wouldn't buy that crap, some of that cheap lighting make junk look good.....
If that studio lighting system is anything like the Cowboy lighting system I bought the light stands broke the very first time I used them.....................
The light stands will not support the weight and are not sturdy enough to keep from tipping over if a fly landed on it.

Everyone can kiss my grits if they think I would ever mount good strobe on one of their POS light stands or booms.

Being polite , their soft boxes are from hell, there is nothing nicer then foldable soft boxes and personally life is to short to put myself in stressful working environment where lights and soft boxes come crashing down a camera and lens worth a small fortune just because someone opened a door or window or slightly bumped some extremely over rated lighting equipment .
Or you and some one else have to screw around putting soft boxes together .
Its like making your own DIY umbrella that isn't foldable and is a pain to lace all the wires through .

Craigs list, photography wanted for sale sections.

I have about 700.00 to 750.00 into each one of my lights, Ab/1600 foldable soft boxes , wescott boom, and a HD light stand, and wireless receiver.
Plus linear polarized film because I shoot allot of products that have a smooth non metallic
surface.

I bought the AB/1600's used and the white lightening 1500 or 1600 used too and saved about 300 bucks.

If you wonder if the lighting system you are thinking of buying is worth anything or not
Find the same set up e bay and see what they sale for on the second hand market.

I know my Cowboy studio lighting is not worth shipping it across the street little lone selling it used to some one only to end up in hassle with some one because I sold them junk.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back