Settings for sunrises. . .

Andy_8101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I managed to pick up a canon G5 for a bargain price recently and although its proberly a little advanced for me i want to try and get the best out of it.

My question to you is what settings would you recommend starting at to take dawn pictures such as the below.

I know it impossible to say exactly but would appreciate any info.

m.jpg

n.jpg

Thanks in advance

Andy

your copyright logo is too distracting and covers your sunrises,
I think the pics look ok, the silhouettes are nice. I dont know about settings though.

Its really tough to say exactly what settings but start around F 10 and underexpose by 2/3 a stop. Your giong to need to adjust the settings on site to get what you want, there is no one setting that is used for sunrise/sunset.

In the space of 15 minutes, your settings will change 30 times if you take 30 pics. A sunset is a very dynamic event.

I could suggest a few general things...
- small aperture
- tripod
- maybe a circular polarizer
- low ISO settings

The rest... is up to you.

The comment about your watermark is right... its very annoying. If you are concerned about theft of your pics, either do not post them online or post very small resoltion ones, register your pics and place the copyright mark in a place that doesn't detract form your pics.

I have a feeling that those are not your pictures. If that's the case, you should post links to them instead of posting them in the thread.

Why do you all keep saying HIS copyright logo is annoying? They aren't his images. If they were, that would completely defeat the purpose of his question, since he would know how to take them, seeing as he took them.

Its really tough to say exactly what settings but start around F 10 and underexpose by 2/3 a stop. Your giong to need to adjust the settings on site to get what you want, there is no one setting that is used for sunrise/sunset.

Would you not want as tight an aperture as you can get with your lens for max depth of field?

Also, could you just use a slower exposure instead of underexposing? Would this not work as a good substitute?

Why do you all keep saying HIS copyright logo is annoying? They aren't his images. If they were, that would completely defeat the purpose of his question, since he would know how to take them, seeing as he took them.

Least someones on the ball ;)

Thanks to those who have replied with info so far.

As mentioned in in my first post, i was just looking for the recommended settings you would start on to "try" and achieve the above.

First edit your post so they are links and not directly shown in the thread, so there is no more confusion. It's against forum policy to post images which are not your own.

I was saying start around 10 keep closing your aperature until your satisfied. I suggested to start at 10 beause many lenses are at the best around this aperature. you could go right to 22 or higher but the lens may not be as good at such a small aperature. As for a "slower exposure" Im not sure what you mean. Meter for the scene and then adjust your shutter speed 2/3EV lower.

Most reactions

Back