Setup for Modeling Photographer [Budget $2000-$3000]? Is it possible?

DellFanboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

First I'd like to say I've searched and searched and read over 100 post in the last 2 weeks. So I've done my background on finding a post like this one. Hopefully everyone wont be to hard on myself.

I have $2,000-$4,000 to spend on a things to get me all setup for shooting models (humans - Male/Female).

What would you recommend? I'm looking to go with a professional setup. Also, what lens work best for shooting models?
Thanks,
Rick

You can shoot photos of model with a $10 camera...and outside during the day, you might not need anything else.

The point is...what do you want to do and where do you want to do it.

Are we talking about a studio set up? Or a portable set up? What type of shots (for what purpose) do you want to take?

As for lenses...that also depends on what you want to do, and how you want to do it.

Can you give us more info?

Hi Big Mike,

Nice to meet you! Thanks for getting this post started. Looks like my first post isn't turning out to well.

Well I'm looking to shoot digital and the print size should be printable. I'd like to go with a DSLR.

I want a portable setup. I'm pretty much going to shoot models indoor or at rented photo studios.

Here's a few shots I'd like to shoot:

http://thejadapages.8m.com/bossman_photos/tyrabanks002.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/realitytv/1/0/g/8/tyra1.jpg

http://images.movieeye.com/store/images/tyra-banks-celebrity-photo.jpg

I hope this helps.
Thanks!
-Rick

hmm...just going by what DSLR's, lenses and flashes go for, I'm not sure $2-3k would be enough for the kind of set up I think you're wanting. For a non-pro set up maybe...but a professional? The camera alone could cost $2k with lens for a mid range camera. Yes you could use a $10 camera but it sounds like you want to do quality large print.

Hey Jon,

Thanks for your input. Yes. I think my max budget would be $4,000. What could I do on a semi-pro level?

From reading the forum I figured I'd spend $800-1,300 on the camera. $500-800 on a lens. The rest on lighting/umbrellas etc.

Thoughts?

I changed the images to links...as per the rules for posting photos there were taken by someone else.

I guess I should have asked what equipment you have now? If you don't have a camera already...that is going to cut into your budget. I would certainly recommend a DSLR (unless you want to shoot film ;) ).

Just about any of the entry level DLSR cameras would be good...as long as you get a decent lens to go with it. Top quality lenses can be really expensive, so you will have to decide how much you want to or can afford to spend on a lens.

If you are shooting indoors or in a studio...you may want to use studio strobe (flash) lights. They need to be plugged in, so outdoors would be a problem but indoors should be fine. The shots you posted were probably shot in professional studios with lots of equipment at their disposal. Getting the same results on a tight budget would be a real challenge.

What's your skill level and experience? I would recommend that if you are inexperienced, you should start slow. Maybe just get the camera and a lens and see what you can do with that. Then you can start to add lights later. All the equipement in the world isn't going to help if you don't know how to use and control light.

If you want more portability (and probably a lower cost) than studio strobes...you can use small flash units. These run on batteries so you can take them anywhere. (sure, the camera has a flash but forget about using that).
For more info on using flash units, read the 'Lighting 101' section of this site http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

Thanks Mike for the edit and link. I'll read that over. It feels like a chicken and egg situation. Can't shoot shots like that without equipment but cant get equipment till I shoot shots like that.

Anyways do most studios have all that equipment/lighting (not including camera) already?

Lastly wireless strobes. Does the D80 or Canon xti have the ability to fire off wireless strobes?
Thanks,
Rick

I'm not sure if the D80 has Nikon's Commander Mode...but the XTi doesn't have any wireless triggering. However, there are many ways to trigger strobes with any camera.

As for the model, eh, Tyra Banks is going to cost you a little more than $4k... So if you are looking to shoot her.. You might want to save up for a bit. :)

I changed the images to links...as per the rules for posting photos there were taken by someone else.

I guess I should have asked what equipment you have now? If you don't have a camera already...that is going to cut into your budget. I would certainly recommend a DSLR (unless you want to shoot film ;) ).

Just about any of the entry level DLSR cameras would be good...as long as you get a decent lens to go with it. Top quality lenses can be really expensive, so you will have to decide how much you want to or can afford to spend on a lens.

If you are shooting indoors or in a studio...you may want to use studio strobe (flash) lights. They need to be plugged in, so outdoors would be a problem but indoors should be fine. The shots you posted were probably shot in professional studios with lots of equipment at their disposal. Getting the same results on a tight budget would be a real challenge.

What's your skill level and experience? I would recommend that if you are inexperienced, you should start slow. Maybe just get the camera and a lens and see what you can do with that. Then you can start to add lights later. All the equipement in the world isn't going to help if you don't know how to use and control light.

If you want more portability (and probably a lower cost) than studio strobes...you can use small flash units. These run on batteries so you can take them anywhere. (sure, the camera has a flash but forget about using that).
For more info on using flash units, read the 'Lighting 101' section of this site http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

Thanks for taking the time to answer, got some nice tips :hugs:

I'm pretty sure the d80 does have commander mode. I'd suggest camera wise go to your store and play with em, but for semi professional use if you want to stick with canon and nikon id look at the 20d and d80. They are reasonably priced and still very capable camera's. As far as lenses go you really have to decide that, as we can not judge the range you'll need. Some lenses to look into would be the 50mm 1.8 and 1.4. 85 1.4 as mentioned. Might want to look at tamron 17-50 2.8 which is said to be quite good. And its still decently priced and not the 1700 dollars some of the nikon pro glass costs. Also if you go with canon since your doing studio work and should have decent lighting, maybe look at the 70-200 f4. And nikon maybe the 80-200 2.8, which is a little pricy at about 800-1000. Also dont forget to invest in a good tripod.

If I had $4k to spend to try to shoot models, I'd probably get a Nikon d80, a 50mm f1.8 and an 85mm f1.4, a set of low end studio lights and a few different colored back-drops, plus something to trigger the lights. You'll also want light stands and softboxes and a bottle of tequila, because taking pictures of people is actually pretty stressful your first few times out. And then spend the rest on classes and books, it's not quite as easy as some people make it look.

Keep in mind, you are probably going to be looking for higher quality glass, but the maximum aperture will be less important for fashion type photography because you'll have a decent light/strobe set-up and you don't generally want to shallow of a depth of field. You'll also do a lot of post-processing to get the air-brush look and such, so a high-end computer and Photoshop would be up your alley too.

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up going with the Nikon 80D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back