sex education

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
I just watched a thing on c4 where they a group of 30 or so people "debated" with Tony Blair. It was crap. A bit came up about sex education and some said how they were taught this, some were taught that so it got me wondering. What or how were you taught?

When I was nine I was sat down at school with the boys in my year and made to watch a video which did the basics. Most of the video contained a nudist family playing Frisbee on a beach. I think we only got that because the girls were being told what they'd be going through soon so they had to teach us something as well. When I was in the last year of high school (16) I was told the basics again.
That was the sum total of my sex education. No "talk" from my parents and nothing about STI's, condoms and anything else. Just "stick this thingy in here, thrust about a bit and wait nine months. Oh, and make sure you love her to".

In terms of elementary school I think it was grade 6 and it was basically the same thing except obviously I was in the group of girls. It was all about puberty at that point.

In high school we did it in girls PE and we got downright dirty at that point ... we had to pair up and practice putting condoms on each others hands ... oh it was lots of fun ... but we did learn alot about std's, the importance of safe sex, getting tested regularly ... the whole bit.

And nope no birds and bees talk at home ... ever ... at the time I was definately relieved! :mrgreen:

You got to watch a video of a nudist family playing Frisbee on a beach??!!? :shock: Man, that would never happen over here -we're way too nude-aphobic. :roll:

No, we were allowed to group together, both sexes, as long we were reading this boring textbook-style, very dry basic stuff. We still giggled and acted stupid, of course. ;) Then we got more detailed stuff in girls' gym class, and somehow I remember ending up with a few pamphlets. MY mom (bless her) never went into much detail, just warned me of what I should not allow when I started dating. :lol:

nothing in primary school.
How to put on a condom in secondary + the biology of it all.
Payrents gave the basic "Get a girl pregnant and die!" speech.

.... its a wonder i'm so good ;)

My school did sex ed fairly extensively in middle school (6th, 7th, and 8th grade), and some in high school, too. No talk from the parents...that would imply they cared.

Friends combining knowledge, parents how to manual, nudie books andsomepretty wild young gals. We were taught something boring in school,henceI can't recall what they taught.

I was ten when i first played spin the bottle and some seriousmakeouttimes at twelve. Funny thing was is the girls knew more than Idid:scratch:

I had the most lenient parents of all, so I was keeper of the smut. Mymom kept finding them and throwing them out but my friends kept givingthem to me.

ferny said:
Most of the video contained a nudist family playing Frisbee on a beach.

Oh dear God, I remember that video! We also sat in a big circle in the playground and got shown some rather graphic pictures about pregnancy, which I recall rather well.

I think I was about 9... yeah. All the usual, this is how babies are made, blah blah blah. Didn't learn about condoms, STI's and the like til we got to secondary school, by which point we'd pretty much picked up that sort of thing in all the girly magazines.

in my K-12 pvt school we were first taught about puberty and stuff in 4th grade, and every year since we've had some kind of education on the subject of puberty, sex, drugs, and other such things. It usually takes place of Physical education class for a month or 2. But I've never really had a birds-and-bees talk at home.

Never got any in school. The most I got was when I was about 14 my mom came in and basically told me to keep my fly zipped or she'd cut "it" off.....

Most of my info came from Playboy magazines, peers and generally fumbling around....

oh the good ol days of sex ed. I remember we had a bit that, but mostly abstinece talk. My high school had graduation class of 158 kids, 16 girls who should have graduated dropped out because they got knocked up. :lmao:

Our sex education was ok, not great. Basically just talked about STDS, Pregnancy, prevention and watched a bunch of really crappy "educational" movies about teens having sex.

I went to Sex with Sue a couple months back when she came to our college. It was great, I think sex ed should be more like her show ;)

My mom tried to have the sex talk with me, I avoided it for the most part.

The closest my parents ever came to having any kind of 'sex talk' with me, was when I was about 18...I had a guy friend that I worked with...my best friend at the time. I was hanging out with him all the time...after work we'd almost always go to this all night diner and eat and talk. That is really all we would do, and I was always totally honest with everything to my Mom...always told her truthfully where I was and who I was with and what he were doing. I never gave her a reason to distrust me. Anyway...she thought I was doing more, and tried to have a talk with me about getting on birth control. It TOTALLY pissed me off and because of her mistrust (for NO reason) to this day, I tell her almost nothing about my social personal life. Sounds harsh, but it's how I feel.

So a word to you parents out there....don't accuse your children of lying if they've never given you a single reason to think they are! :)

And have that sex talk eeeearly!

I have a funny story actually.
Yeh we had the usual sex ed, boring guy...made the whole thing sound dull..and then there was the woman in the shower bit that livend things up for 5 seconds.

Anyways, a mate gave me a condom as a joke...we always playd around like that, and he just went
"Here Dan, you wont need this"
and then you know, I gave it back, he went to take it and I just went "Wait ill keep it anyways" It was perfectly innocent, we had a laugh, and that was that.

Thing is, I was cleaning out my bad quickly before going to school..and...the damn thing re appeared and jumped in the air...and landed...there...infront of my mum.

Luckily my parents trust me and I assured them that it was just a joke.

FUnny thing is my mum said she didnt know what it was at first, and I had already started explaining :p

Haha....that's hilarious! I remember when I was in Middle School I used to help my best friend at the time (who has since passed away :( ) babysit her neices. Well, Amber (my friend) would sneak up to her brother's room and steal one or two of the condoms. On our walk home at night (my house was two blocks from her brothers, and she usually stayed the night at my house after we babysat), we'd open the condoms and hang them on this tree (which happened to be right next to the Catholic church :shock: I'm going to Hell)...there ended up being quite a few there...we called it the rubber tree. :)

Most reactions

Back