shake

julie32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.juliestarkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
in all seriousness, I am naturally a slightly shakey person. I have a 5D, 24-70 mm 2.8 as my primary lens and when a tripod isn't possible to use is there any ideas you may have to help?

Lean against a wall, wrap an arm round a post, lean on a table with your elbows... basically, find anything that is less shaky than yourself and use it to brace yourself against.

and if you don't have any other option and have to work free standing as it were, keep your elbows tucked into your body and hold your breath whilst you click the shutter (not for too long though as 'asphyxiated' doesn't look good on a photographers CV)

There are plenty of tricks and techniques.

The first is good posture and stance. Stand with your feet at least shoulder width apart and keep your elbows tight to your body.
Many people turn the camera left when shooting in portrait mode, thus causing their elbow to be sticking out. If you turn right and bend your wrist, you can keep your elbow into your body.

If you can, lean against something solid...a post, a tree etc. Maybe sit or kneel so that you are using something for support. If the light is really low, you might even need to hold the camera against something solid.

Breathing techniques also come into play. Just like when shooting a gun or other type of projectile weapon, you want to steady your breathing and fire the camera during a pause.

If you can't/don't use a tripod...what about a monopod? One trick is to tie a string/rope/belt to an eyelet and screw that into the tripod threads...then put a loop in the bottom and use your foot to hold the string to the ground. Then when you pull up with the camera, it is steady...at least for vertical movement.

Of course, you could use a lens that has IS. The 24-105mm F4 L IS comparable to your 24-70mm. A stop slower but IS will really help combat shake.
Also, your 24-70mm is one of the heaviest lenses...some people find that weight makes it easier to steady...and some find it too heavy.

I forgot to mention...raise the ISO to get a faster shutter speed. ;)

Take a leaf out of the military sharp shooters book. put your elbow through your strap and then wrap your forearm round the strap so that the camera is tensioned against your elbow. Pull your elbow tight into your ribcage and take a couple of breaths in and out and then exhale, hold your breath and fire.

Cheers Mike

You could make what I did. You get a big washer and some fising line and a bolt that fits the tripod socket, I think 10mm maybe? Take the fising line and tie it to the washer and then make it about as long as you are tall minus 1 to 2 feet. Tie the other end of the fishing line to the bolt and thread the bolt into the tripod socket. Lay the flat washer on the ground and put your foot on it. Pull tight and ta da you have a steady camera.
Make sense?

I think 10mm maybe?
1/4"

take in a full breath, let it half out, and squeeze (not pull) the trigger -- same works well for cameras.
I do that, pretty much subconsciously...then I wonder why I'm out of breath when doing a photo shoot. :lol:

Big Mike -- You're supposed to breathe again after you take the shot :lmao:

Yes, but when I'm firing a shot every second or so...it doens't leave a lot of time for breathing. :lol:

You could also work out.

Get a 10 or 15 pound dumbbell or some other weight ( a sack of flour for instance) and grip it like a camera. Then do lifts from your waist to the top of your head.

Most reactions

Back