Shark dog and the outdoors,critique please

provencowgirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these while I was out today. Normal kit lens.
ƒ/5.6
55.0 mm
1/80
100 iso

Critique's welcome!

Baby Duck

My dog

Shark Dog

Watching Ducks

A flower that grows and blooms even though I do not water it

Your shutter speed seems too slow for that light, over-exposing all your photos (except the last) especially #5.
I'm guessing you used Manual mode? Your shutter probably should have been in the neighborhood of 1/1000. Try aperture or shutter priority, or Normal Auto mode to see what shutter speeds and apertures it yields for a particular ISO sensitivity.
Another simple adjustment would be to position your camera lower, say, at the dog's level, instead of shooting a downward angle.

Just small tips. I hope that helps!

Thanks, I will give that a try next time!

And yes I was in manual mode.

The duck picture has some promise. I'd crop the bottom and right to eliminate those disturbances in the water. I'd like to see only duck, water, wake.

The dog shots are, I'm sorry, less interesting. The first and last are overexposed. The middle two are better but you still have some blown highlights. Bright overhead sunlight is very harsh and it's difficult to work with. You might understand why photographers like morning and evening light better. What would also help would eye contact with the dog, or something with more action. The shark dog shot might have been better, for example, if he were turned the other way and looking at you, or if you could catch the motion better, make it seem more dynamic. Try getting down to the dog's level and getting a lower angle.

The last one also has some potential. I like the shallower depth of field to try to isolate the subject and help minimize the background, which is a little bit cluttered. The lighting is tricky - it's partly in shadow and partly in some very bright sun, which makes it tricky to get a good exposure. If you expose to get more detail in the shadows, you're going to get blown highlights, which you do have. But you could expose for highlights and lose a little detail in the shadow - in this picture, you wouldn't lose too much and it wouldn't be important detail anyway. As for composition, I would have shot a little bit further to the right to get the ends of those antennae-looking things and less of the fern in the background.

Thanks for input limr! i will remember about getting more the the dogs level next time and more eye contact.

And yes I was in manual mode.

but you left the same settings for each one of those shots? The settings seem completely random for the scene. They all ended up overexposed but for the last shot in shade.

No that one had different settings, it was from a different day and honestly could not remember the settings, Was my fault for not putting that.

You may get more consistent results selecting a semi-auto mode such as aperture priority.manual mode takes a while to get and generally is only needed on occasion. Don't make it complicated or the enjoyment will not be there

I will give that a try this weekend on my fishing trip! Thanks for the tip Jaomul!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back