Sharp nightime pictures?

D-50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is the best way to get very clear/sharp cityscape shots at night? The lights in the buildings always come out somewhat blurred when I take one. I know that going to an ISO of 800 or 1600 would help but I am trying to avoid the noise. If anyone has an example and what settings they used that would be great.

Hi!

You can use 'slower' speeds like 400 & 200, or even 100 & 50...
- A tripod will do only good for long exposures! -
You may also try to put the camera on another steady 'thing'.

Yours,
Yaad

Tripod, tripod, tripod.... ;^D That and don't use the smallest apature as that will tend to give you radiating lines around lights. Use something around f8 unless you absolutely need great DOF.

I've gotten very clear shots using ISO 100 film so I don't think you need to use a high ISO as that will give you more grain (or noise in digital).

You can also use an improvised rest like a jacket and the top of a mailbox or railing with a wide ledge, etc. instead of a tripod. Just make sure your camera is stable and use the self timer or a cable release.

I do use a tripod. I was shooting at ISO 400 with an aperature around f8-11 and shutter speeds from 2.5" to 8". I also use a remote so I do not move the camera while pressing the shutter. I am able to get the pics sharp using my computer but I owuld like to get a sharp picture on the camera and stay away from post processing.

Maybe you could show us a before and after picture. I get very good results with my camera. I guess it could be your lens but I don't know.

Try shooting during late dusk. The lights will be somewhat less bright in the overall scene. Set up on a tripod, break out the ol' Luna Pro, and take a series of pictures as it grows darker. Print the best one.

I pulled off a fantastic series of shots of the Richmond city skyline in the middle of the night using PanF and Velvia 100. Exposure length with PanF was approx 2 minutes and 30 seconds at f4.5 if i recall. You'll definitely need to bracket, as exposure length for night shots depends on a lot of things. I think my velvia 100 shots were done with a pretty wide aperture for about 1 minute under a full moon on a different night.

D-50 said:
I do use a tripod. I was shooting at ISO 400 with an aperature around f8-11 and shutter speeds from 2.5" to 8". I also use a remote so I do not move the camera while pressing the shutter. I am able to get the pics sharp using my computer but I owuld like to get a sharp picture on the camera and stay away from post processing.

Trying to going to a smaller aperture, like 16-22..that really helps with night shots, epecially with the lights.

Most reactions

Back