Sharpness on my rebel

C_lawgik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know you are all sick of my threads on sharpness but i reall yhav ea problem with it. When I first got my camera and my lens my pictures were razor sharp but now they all feel soft. I know its not my lens cause i tested it on my 35mm. Here is what i mean:

First pics with it
IMG_5241.jpg

now same location a few months later:
IMG_6563.jpg

Both pics were taken at 200mm and around the same aperature with the same white balance. Im thinking it might have been because one day i dropped my camera. But I dont know cause it still works fine except for te focusing. I called a local camera store to see how much a checkup is and its 40 bux. Shoudl I just break down and pay it or what? thanx for the help

looks like there is a definate difference in the two pics. Is everything you take now that blurred?

Personally i would pay the money for the check up just to be sure. If they do find anything wrong with it you will have to pay out alot more than the cost of the check up

to have some point to this post, i would say yes, you should pay, also make sure your shooting at least half of 1/focal length, so basically 1/(2*focal length) when your hand holding (especially for sports stuff.)

anyway you probobly already know that or something like it i would assume.

The only real reason for this post is:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v326/...ck Feb 13/?action=view&current=Muddyroads.jpg
LAWL

I wouldn't get a "check up" for this. Stuff that. Go and get it actually fixed. Show them what's wrong with it and say fix it. If you just go in for a check up they'll just say to you - ahh look it takes blurry photos. Well Duh,,, you already know that.

The second shot looks like motion blur from moving the camera while taking the photo. 1/400 at 200mm is all right if you're holding the camera steady, but you may be shaking it more than you think at the paintball place. The first shot was taken at 1/1600 and 130mm, so it's not surprising there's no trace of motion blur. Try shooting in shutter priority with a fast shutter speed selected, I think you'll find your results will improve.

Looks like the lens has an element loose inside of it. Full of chromatic aberrations...

Have u dropped it? Anyone shot with with a paintball? :D

That would be the other option. Is anything loose inside the lens? Can you borrow another lens to test on the camera?

DocFrankenstein said:
Looks like the lens has an element loose inside of it. Full of chromatic aberrations...

C_lawgik said:
Both pics were taken at 200mm and around the same aperature with the same white balance. Im thinking it might have been because one day i dropped my camera. But I dont know cause it still works fine except for te focusing. I called a local camera store to see how much a checkup is and its 40 bux. Shoudl I just break down and pay it or what? thanx for the help

:mrgreen:

Contra|Brett| said:
to have some point to this post, i would say yes, you should pay, also make sure your shooting at least half of 1/focal length, so basically 1/(2*focal length) when your hand holding (especially for sports stuff.)

anyway you probobly already know that or something like it i would assume.

The only real reason for this post is:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v326/...ck Feb 13/?action=view&current=Muddyroads.jpg
LAWL

lol, that was some kid that was going too fast down a muddy road. But i think i'lltake it in tommorrow and see whats up.

I hate to ask the obvious, but is the lens clean? Just thought a low-tech approach might be worth checking first. The image looks diffused. This fit too with the intermitent occurance.

I suppose too it could be spherical aboration.

In the spirit of mountainlander's post...
DocFrankenstein said:

C_lawgik said:
I know you are all sick of my threads on sharpness but i reall yhav ea problem with it. When I first got my camera and my lens my pictures were razor sharp but now they all feel soft. I know its not my lens cause i tested it on my 35mm..

Christie Photo said:
I hate to ask the obvious, but is the lens clean? Just thought a low-tech approach might be worth checking first. The image looks diffused. This fit too with the intermitent occurance.

I thought it was worth asking... it's the sort of thing that trips me up from time to time.

I know its not my lens cause i tested it on my 35mm..

If I were a betting man, i'd say the test was a 4*6 printout from wallmart.

Which doesn't tell u much btw

C_lawgik said:
Im thinking it might have been because one day i dropped my camera.

I probably wouldn't mention this when you take the camera in. It might void your warranty or something stupid like that and you'll end up paying lots of money.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back