She almost grabbed my flash

THORHAMMER

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Funny kids...

she almost got my flash in #3, I was handholding it, and let it get a little too low, lol.....

cparkfridayforum-1.jpg

cparkfridayforum-2.jpg

cparkfridayforum-3.jpg

cparkfridayforum-4.jpg

I really like these, very different from the natural backgrounds kids portraits are usually done in! I think the 2nd is my fav!

My only critique would be to watch your crops, you cut her off oddly in the last two.

I love the connection with the subject. You feel like she is looking right at you. I would say that the crops don't bother me as much, but I would like a bit more of her eyes and a bit less shadow from the hat could be because of where the flash was angled at her or where it was bouncing from. All in all kids shots are really difficult and these are great!

I don't love the harsh vignetting in the last 2 and the flash feels a little overwhelming to me... but overall, I like the series :)

They are really cute photos, I love the expressions and the captures. She seems very photogenic! However, I really dont like the processing...it looks sad and dirty...like for the price of a cup of coffee a day we can make a difference in her life. It is a neat technique but I think incongruant with the subject. I would also have her lose the hat or use a had that isnt a promo hat.

The last one, if you processed MUCH less, cropped in on her closer using an interesting crop and cloned out the add on the hat, it would be just amazing...in my most humble opinion

Yeah, the vignetting is a little harsh, but thats what I was going for.
I was trying to make angles and shadows on purpose. Just experimenting nothing serious.

As for the beggar / homeless comments, I think your reaching a little, but I can see your angle. If the clothes were dirty, ripped, or she had dirt on her face then I would agree.

I guess I should have prefaced these are just snapshots of my kid...

Sorry of the beanie buggs, she just loves that beanie, nothing I can do, and hey I'm proud of where I work, The company really is fantastic and its got family values, seeing as this isn't a commercial or paid shoot, its just my kid, I don't see the point in complaining about someones beanie. It means something good to me and my family.

well you did ask for c&c right? Or I guessed I assumed that by you posting here. I think people just tried to give you feedback. If you read my statement you would noticed that I thought the technique you pped with was incongruent with the subject...I did not call the girl homeless or a beggar

The hat works if it is a hat she loves and when you are looking at the family photos when she is 25 and hat sparks a memory...but none of us know your daughter so to us it is distracting, not adding to who she is in the photo.

Never the less, you have a lovely, very photgenic daughter

thanks,

I think I know what you mean, I should have prefaced its just snapshot.

Totally my fault:lol:

No biggie, I just like to share the cuteness of my kid from time to time, thats
all. I don't have time to respond to beanie complaints. No offense but there must be better things to critique that the fact that a beanie has a label on it.

:hug::

hey, I like this series, the lighting seems very unique and put alot of positive attention on the subject. I especially like the first two.

I know you said that these were snapshot but I don't like the background in the last two, lol.

Well, I still like them, maybe because they ARE different than most kiddo photography shots :)

After looking again though, I can see that the last one would look better with more of her in the shot and less background, but you stated they were just snapshots.

I wish I could take snapshots this well!

No offense but there must be better things to critique that the fact that a beanie has a label on it.

:hug::

Making mental note: THORHAMMER does not want, nor can handle C&C, skip posts in future

Most reactions

Back