She looks even more beautiful today...

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dreamed of this camera in the early 80's. Here's my most recent b/w portrait of her. Nikon FE. This camera just keeps getting prettier to my eyes! Make something digital in this size/form-factor and watch the world flock to your feet!

Nikon film camera
by Peeb-OK, on Flickr

I sleep with mine when the wife's out of town. I would need to post pics of her in the NSFW Film section...

Dreamed of this camera in the early 80's. Here's my most recent b/w portrait of her. Nikon FE. This camera just keeps getting prettier to my eyes! Make something digital in this size/form-factor and watch the world flock to your feet!

Nikon film camera
by Peeb-OK, on Flickr

Not to mention simplicity. You have to have a basic idea of what you're doing, though.

Not to mention simplicity. You have to have a basic idea of what you're doing, though.
For shame! I think Peeb's work speaks for itself!;)
I wasn't refering to Peeb (or most anyone on TPF), but to "noobs" that would want to use the camera.

Peeb: How did you get that texturing on the silver parts - clarity?

Loved the way the camera is snapped :)

For shame! I think Peeb's work speaks for itself!;)
I wasn't refering to Peeb (or most anyone on TPF), but to "noobs" that would want to use the camera.

Peeb: How did you get that texturing on the silver parts - clarity?
It was a bit complicated, actually (probably too complicated, but that's how I roll!).

Processed initially in photoshop and desaturated to bw in PS raw and cropped and tweaked a bit. My recollection was boosting both the blacks and the whites a bit. Saved as a jpg. Then opened the jpg in DXO Photolab and did some noise reducction (it's great at that) and contrast adjustment. I dropped the midtones, shadows, blacks, boosted the micro-contrast. Saved and reopened again in photoshop and tweaked one last time to get it right.

I had an FE in the mid-1980's. It was a nice camera, and offered the flip-up Ai coupler, so older, pre-Ai lenses could be mounted, and metering done in stopped-down mode. I really like the match-needle metering that the FE and FE-2 both offered. The smaller Nikon models FM,FM-2,FM2(n), FA, FE and the FE-2 were realllllly nice shooters for their era!

As far as a digital version and form factor of the FE being a runaway success: Nikon's digital slr, the Nikon Df, is similar to the FE in some ways, but the Df is/was never really a commercial success, despite its appeal with its traditional chrome coloration option, and its FE-like body size and design ethos.

I had an FE in the mid-1980's. It was a nice camera, and offered the flip-up Ai coupler, so older, pre-Ai lenses could be mounted, and metering done in stopped-down mode. I really like the match-needle metering that the FE and FE-2 both offered. The smaller Nikon models FM,FM-2,FM2(n), FA, FE and the FE-2 were realllllly nice shooters for their era!

As far as a digital version and form factor of the FE being a runaway success: Nikon's digital slr, the Nikon Df, is similar to the FE in some ways, but the Df is/was never really a commercial success, despite its appeal with its traditional chrome coloration option, and its FE-like body size and design ethos.
The FE is just so much more compact than my D610 or F100, and I DO love that chrome retro styling. The DF was/is a nice camera to buy with your heart, but it just never had the the right price/performance ratio to make it a 'shrewd' buy.

Having said that- I wish I had one!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back