She Was Tired of My SLR, so I got her a P&S

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by chrisburke, Feb 5, 2009.

1. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    well, my wife has been complaining that she "just doesn't understand this big fancy cameras" so I went out today and got her a pink Nikon Coolpix S210... she seems to be loving it!!!! happy wife, happy life!!!

2. Breanna

Breanna TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I find that even while in full auto, most people don't understand the whole "look through the EYE PIECE and press the shutter button lightly before you snap the photo" It's a pain in the you-know-what to have someone take my photo with my camera, which explains why I have hundreds of photos my my husband with my son, but like 4 of ME and my son :( *is bitter*

3. Snapsh0t

Snapsh0t TPF Noob!

Ha ha I usually just look at the screen instead of looking into the small box.

4. digital flower

digital flower No longer a newbie, moving up!

My wife thought she wanted a point and shoot until I got her a P6000. She forgot about the long write times, shutter lag and start ups. She grabs the D80 about 90% of the time.

I 'll probably end up using the Coolpix most of the time.

5. Onefaststang

Onefaststang TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah well with cameras like D80 and such u have to look threw the eye piece cause if gives u a better shot i have notice that if i take pics by just looking at the screen that then dont come out as well as they would if u look in the eye piece

6. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    either you have one of the new dslr's like the d90 which has live view, or you dont have a dslr at all.. most dslrs dont have the option to look at the "small box".. assuming you mean screen....

she seems to be loving it so far.. of course, she's had it for 30 mins... and when i gave it to her, she thought I was giving her a rat (i told her to close her eyes, and hold out her hands close together.. then i said shhh.. hoping she would think i got a puppy.. and i put our cat in her hands, she freaked cause she thought i got a pet rat (SICK) but then i gave her the camera, she was very happy... she loves that it has video, because, like the DSLRs, she doesnt know how to use the video camera either (sony vx1000)

it doesnt just give you a better shot, its the only way to take the shot... d80 doesnt have live view

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  7. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Most DSLRs don't have Live View so your only option is to look through the viewfinder when shooting. Only a few newer DSLRs have Live View capability. The D80 doesn't have Live View.

8. Snapsh0t

Snapsh0t TPF Noob!

I dont have a DSLR, I have a digital camera with the Live view motion screen then I have the small eye box.

9. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yea, thats a point and shoot

10. hossmaster

hossmaster TPF Noob!

nothing like holding the P&S as far away from your body and contorting in order to get the picture. No thanks I will use a viewfinder, even on point and clicks that have them. Don't even keep my P&S charged anymore.

11. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok guys... The d80 post and the look through the small box post were by two separate people.

digital flower said his wife uses the d80 never said anything about the small box or live view.

Likewise, snapshot never said anything about having an SLR

12. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    we know... we were merely explaining live view...there was no confusion on my part... apparently there was on yours though...