Sheep! - composition critique

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Your average sheepy sheep!

4108388016_a82c7072c1.jpg

f/5.0, ISO 200, 1/320sec
Taken with Canon 400D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS + 1.4Teleconverter
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2803/4108388016_d7baa10827_o.jpg

I honestly don't know where to go with this shot. I think firstly it might need a little brightening up with maybe a bit more contrast/saturation just to make the colours stand out a little more (I feel it might be a little dull and flat at the moment). But composition wise I really don't know how I feel about this shot. Its bugging me now and I just can't put my finger on it - do I want/need more background - more sheep - change the positioning of the head in the frame -- what??

So anyone got any advice for this one - even if its advice for the "next time" incase that cropping creativly is not an option (and I'm always open to "next time" advice since its means less chance of me coming back and having to crop)

It could just be my monitor but as far as PP goes i think its perfect. I like the composistion as well but if i was forced to change it somehow then i would say that perhaps you need to either, centralize or decentrilize the photo.
Also the comment with it being flat, is that not the result of a slim depth of field? If using a smaller f-stop of perhaps f8 then i'd imagine it wouldnt appear to be as flat. Personally however i like it this way and the "flatness" doesnt really bother me.

All in all i think its an excellent photo, one that you'd have a hard time in improving given the subject and situation.

More sheep. Crop the top and right side, focus on the sheep, which is exposed well and very sharp. The background consumes the shot and distracts from the sheep.

Nice shot though.

Most reactions

Back