Sherlock Holmes Videos and Audio files

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
"A Scandal in Bohemia" reading files

I recently started making audio voice recording projects. There were a few reasons for this. I did not know what my voice might sound like using my current equipment. I had not practiced how far away I should place a mic or how loud I should speak. I had ideas for full video projects but I did not have the time to test the ideas to see how hard they might be. By starting with audio voice tracks I could get an idea of how big these projects might be.

So far, I have been making files of reading Sherlock Holmes' "A Scandal in Bohemia" by Sir A. Conan Doyle. I have posted these as a three file set. These are not very good readings. I thought that I would do better, even on my first release, but it has proven more difficult than I expected. Partly this is because the book I am reading from has small print on big pages.

Right now, I am not concerned with posting really top quality readings, but I do have a minimum standard in mind. I intend these to help people with seeing problems to assist their reading. In other words, I am not trying to achieve artistic perfection, I'm just trying to help people who might benefit from what I have already done. With that in mind, eventually I will probably replace what I have with (slightly) better files eventually, but I have no schedule for doing so.

So even if I post an update, I would suggest that if you have heard the current three files, it would not be worth checking the revisions -- unless you are really curious.
[Comment rewritten w/corrections Oct 7, 2023 10:54]

The first set of posts was completed on Sep 24, 2023.

1st File: "230913-S-Holmes-Bohemia01-part1 of 3", "VidThreeNorth"
Sep 13, 2023, [length 19:55]
""

2nd File: "230917 S Holmes bohemia02a-part2" [length 31:25]
""

3rd (last) File: "S Holmes bohemia03a-part3" "VidThreeNorth"
Sept 23, 2023, [length 12:21]
""

Last edited:
The three files linked in the previous message complete the file set for the Scandal in Bohemia story. I do not know why I cannot make a single file containing the whole story, but on the other hand, I cannot see any real advantage of doing so, even if I could. I do not know how people feel about these files. I think I should probably try to read a bit slower and more clearly in the future, but I know that some people who read the stories for themselves might even find my reading speed a bit on the slow side at times. But that is the advantage of reading for oneself. Reading some passages faster and some slower is an adjustment one makes for oneself. As I have said, these files are best used to assist you in reading the stories for yourself. I hope they have been helpful, but I am not trying to replace the written pages with these files.

2023-09-29

There is a dramatization of this story on YouTube by the BBC. While my project was to improve and expand upon the uploaded readings of the actual text, it seems less important for me to do this, so I have decided to stop work on this project for now. I might start another project on a different Holmes story, but that is yet to be decided. The total time of the three files is about 1 hour 3 min.

Last edited:
I have posted an early audio version of my reading of "The Blue Carbuncle". It is the first ~ 16 min. This story is part of the series that was turned into a dramatization by the BBC. At this point, what I would say about the differences between the text stories (all Holmes) and the dramatizations is mainly in the opening. When you get into the main shows, they follow fairly closely to the texts. I find the differences interesting, and I am glad I am reading them, but they do not make a huge difference to the main stories.

I have posted enough reading of the "Blue Carbuncle" to get started into the story. So whether you go and watch the TV version or read the rest as text, I don't think there is that much difference. Why did I chose this story to work on right now? "The Blue Carbuncle" was a Christmas story, and it is a good one to read or see at this time of the year.

"231019 S Holmes Blue Carbuncle Audio Version Part 0.01",
Posted Oct 19, 2023, [Length 15:42]
""

2023-10-23 20:29
I have hoping to post another audio clip for this story today, but it is not ready. Unfortunately, I am running into difficulties. But I am still working on it.

2023-10-25 23:57

I completed the 2nd (final) part of the Blue Carbuncle story. It turned out about 40 min. long. I had originally wanted to post in 3 parts, but the recording of the 2nd part made it difficult to edit into three parts unless quality was reduced, so I left it as a two part set:

"231019 S Holmes Blue Carbuncle Audio Version Part 0.02",
posted Oct 24, 2023 [40:19]
""

Last edited:
Sherlock Holmes: The Red Headed League

I have posted my readings of The Red Headed League (the whole story) in two files at:

"Sherlock Holmes: The Red-Headed League Pt1"
""

and:

"Sherlock Holmes: The Red-Headed League Pt2"
""

The first file was read for "read-along". I tried to record and post the "Part 2" file also as a read-along file, but due to an error, that reading was lost. The current version is a bit too quick to "read along". I will not be re-doing it again in the near future, but I really do want to try to do more "read-along" files in general.

Sherlock Holmes Boscombe Valley, Pt01
After I posted the "Case of Identity" files I left the Holmes readings to do some photo and video work. Unfortunaely, when I got back to it, I decided I needed to clean my disc and I accidentally erased some files I was working on. I am not certain what got erased, and I am trying to recover what ever pending files remain. Hopefully I will not have to re-record much. I have just worked on the first part of the "Boscombe Valley" files. This much is about 15 min. worth. I cannot tell when I will get more done:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back