Shift Tilt Lens

Those lenses are so you can shoot a picture from a different angle than straight on and it won't have converging lines, (It will look like you were straight on).

Really good for tall buildings that you can't shoot without tilting the camera up.

hobbes28 said:
Those lenses are so you can shoot a picture from a different angle than straight on and it won't have converging lines, (It will look like you were straight on).

Really good for tall buildings that you can't shoot without tilting the camera up.

Thanks. I know that much, but I wish I knew if it would be worth it (like if a photographer was into architechture) or if just investing in a 4x5 camera with a film or digital back would be better. I guess it would depend what the image is going to be used for..?

I guess for a regular person it wouldn't be worth investing unless that's the field we want to get into. Then theres the whole money thing, and risk of it all.

I have one but have yet to figure it out. Got it because I took a series of lighthouses without one and they all come out leaning backward. But have not need it since I bought it. The example Hobbes gives is for lateral shift. Also Tilt will change the DOF. Any book on large format should have a few good examples. The ones I have are Simmons “Using the View Camera” and Kodak “Book of Large-Format”

This is vertical shift
85733968170020.jpg

You can get a new Russian EOS T/S lens for less that $250 US. A used 4x5 would is few hundred dollars, B&H was new roll film backs new $400-800 US and few field cameras for 700-900

The lens on Ebay is the same lens I have; do not recall what I paid

Look around, you can find those old, gray, steel 4x5 monorails for very cheap. I got one for $75 (without a lens). I love it, except that it weighs a ton, but fine if you are using it in the studio, or not going too far from the car.

I don't know anything about the Canon lens but I've been lusting after the Nikkor 85mm PC Shift Micro.

As well as helping with the tilting effect you get with photoing architechture as the others have pointed out. It is particularly good for micro shots and DOF while retaining a fairly wide aperture although I am not sure if this particular one is designed for mirco.

Most reactions

Back