Shoot in RAW???

Darton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Should I set my canon 30D to only shoot in RAW format?? Also, Once I get them uploaded onto my pc I have to convert them to jpeg to open them in Photoshop so why shoot in RAW?? I do understand that more color info is saved in RAW but I guess my question is why shoot in RAW if i'm just gonna convert to jpeg anyway??

I can open RAW files just fine in Photoshop CS2. What version do you have? It may need to have the Canon raw support updated if it's an older version.

Hi,

You've bought yourself some expensive & capable equipment so it's definitely worth spending some time learning how to get the most of its capabilities - here's a link to start you off.....

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/u-raw-files.shtml

simon

Should I set my canon 30D to only shoot in RAW format?? Also, Once I get them uploaded onto my pc I have to convert them to jpeg to open them in Photoshop so why shoot in RAW?? I do understand that more color info is saved in RAW but I guess my question is why shoot in RAW if i'm just gonna convert to jpeg anyway??

I would advise you to use the search function on this forum, you will find answers to all of these questions very quickly.

I can open RAW files just fine in Photoshop CS2. What version do you have? It may need to have the Canon raw support updated if it's an older version.

I have oldy lazy Photoshop CS is there and update for RAW images?

Well, it sort of depends. RAW is useful for those photographers who are already extremely familiar with all aspects of editing jpegs in Photoshop etc., have an extremely good photographic eye, and want to push the colour, dynamic range and quality of their photos as far as possible. The downside is that the process of editing in RAW and then converting to jpeg is time consuming for many who would prefer to spend more time behind a camera than in front of a computer. If you do not have a very good "eye" too, the value of your editing work will probably be limited and weak.

If you are fairly new to photography, I would recommend learning your camera first shooting jpegs, develop your eye and skill to be able to recognize visual strengths and weaknesses in your shots, learn to do all kinds of edits on jpegs in Photoshop without losing image quality and then after that, begin experimenting with RAW shooting and editing.

skieur

try the dual format feature, then when editing, compare.

The RAW image not only generates the highest quality image (JPG is more compressed) it also allows you make many adjustments to an image in a way that does not degrade the quality. It's like working with a digital negative. I would even recommend it to new photographers as it will allow you to save shots where incorrect settings where chosen. Making these adjustments to JPG are often times not possible or final quality is unacceptable. Also, the original RAW image file is never permanently altered. Once changes are made, you convert to another file. Somethign to consider, RAW images are considerably larger and saving them takes a lot of space on your memory card AND on your computer.

I would reccomend using DPP that came with your camera as it will retain your in-camera settings and it does a wonderful job. Most other software does not retain this making your image look flat initially. Zoombrowser (packaged with you camera) may also be valuable since your operating system probably does NOT recognize the raw. Meaning you cannot browse thumbnails within windows explorer (assuming you have windows). They show up as unrecognizable files. The only way to browze these are using DPP or Zoombrowser or ofcourse other compatible software.

IMHO- It's well worth the additional postprocessing. Play with it some, when you see the quality difference and flexibility, you wont look back.

I have oldy lazy Photoshop CS is there and update for RAW images?

Yes, I had it when I had photoshop CS but I have since upgraded to CS3. Its hard to find now though good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back