Shoot With LCD On?

arsondesign

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of mine just got a Canon 20D. I've had mine for awhile and am pretty familiar with all the settings. She asked me if you can shoot with the LCD screen on to frame your shots instead of using the viewfinder. I've never had the desire to do so and I just figured you couldn't. I went through my manual and the camera menu but didn't find anything about this (I was skimming with the manual though). Is it possible to do so?

As far as I know you can't do it on the 20D. They just started that on the 40D, but I have never used that function on mine.

Freedbaby

I have the 30D - can not use my screen to focus.

I wear glasses - wish I could use the screen like you can do on most point and shoots. Oh well :(

This was first possible with the 40D, so it is not available on either the 30D or the 20D.

I would feel like a loser if i used DSLR like a point and shoot ha but thats what my mom did when she asked to see my camrea when i got it. haha

Yeah it's so funny. People are so used to P&S's nowadays that they forgot how to use the viewfinder. I've even seen people put their closed eye up to the viewfinder.

The new 450D apparently has 'Live-View' also. No doubt this is a feature that will makes its way to all dSLRs in the years to come.

Yeah it's so funny. People are so used to P&S's nowadays that they forgot how to use the viewfinder. I've even seen people put their closed eye up to the viewfinder.
I had the opposite experience yesterday - I was taking a picture with a my P&S and held the screen up to my eye... Felt like a doofus at that moment, but it cracked my kids up.

I had the opposite experience yesterday - I was taking a picture with a my P&S and held the screen up to my eye... Felt like a doofus at that moment, but it cracked my kids up.

I've done that too! Now that I've been using a DSLR exclusively for a while now, it actually feels very weird to hold the P&S camera out in front of myself and use the LCD.

Iron Flatline said:
andrew99 said:
I've done that too! Now that I've been using a DSLR exclusively for a while now, it actually feels very weird to hold the P&S camera out in front of myself and use the LCD.

Agree there on it feeling weird, Ive done it also - My P&S had a viewfinder but I'd never used it - Now cause of the Canon its sorta automatic to look through one.

a while ago i used a friends camera (canon semi slr or something) and it has the live preview thing and i was looking through the viewfinder (used to my 400d) and i was confused as to why the LCD was on haha

Yup. People are always looking at my camera (if I ask them to take my photo or something), and going "Where do I look? Why can't I see anything? :lmao:

2 funny I do the same thing! I always try to use the useless viewfinder on my p&s. It confuses the heck out me everytime!

I just did that yesterday with my mobile phone. My work mate asked me if I had to view the screen that close?:mrgreen: It was a very brief blunder, I don't think he knew what was actually happening.

From now on, I promise I will need to think and look twice before I operate any camera. Amen.

Most reactions

Back