Shootin in RAW

you have much more control over exposure and other lighting settings when you come to "play" with your photos... also, you have maximum quality output..

ill leave the rest for the experts to explain as im not a very technical person :p

but you should look around google also.

Zoso......heres the ups and downs of it.

You spent some extra bucks to get that 2 more Mp. camera. When you shoot in .Jpeg, your camera makes all kinds of decisions and instantly processes the file. The size of that file is nowhere near the 10.1Mp. you paid for. The camera threw away what it decided wasn't needed. Ain't no way to get it back. Also the .Jpeg is a "Lossy" format, each time you re-save you lose a bit more info.

Now...same shot in RAW format will give you a 10.1 or larger file because the camera has given you and saved ALL of the information it acquired with NO internal processing. You have what is essentially a "Digital Negative". It is considered a "Lossless" format.

The good part of RAW? You have 2 or 3 times the information to work with in post processing.
If you mess up and need to start over you still have the RAW to use as a starting point.

The not-so-good part of RAW? File size is much larger so you have fewer shots available on your CF card. It also eats up your in-camera buffer space so burst mode is limited.
You use at least one extra step in your normal workflow. You need almost twice as much hard drive storage space (RAW file+ finished .Jpeg). Chances are you will need to buy some type of additional software.

Personally I use both methods. If I drive 75 miles to a farm shoot and a "re-shoot" is not possible, I shoot everything in RAW. Customer from out-of-town, I shoot RAW.
My standard event shots are in .Jpeg because they will probably only be printed out once or twice at most.

Good Shooting to ya'

Thanks guys really helpful. Might need another CF card and external hard drive :thumbup:

Tell me about it. Backup hardware is essential though! I now have the following hards drives!

1 x 200 Gb Internal Drive
1 x 250Gb Internal Drive
1 x 300Gb Internal Drive

2 x 200Gb External Drives
1 x 400Gb External Drive
1 x 500Gb External Drive
1 x 40Gb Epson P-2000
1 x 30Gb Creative Zen Vision

Total of 2.120Tb!! Everything is backed up.

Tell me about it. Backup hardware is essential though! I now have the following hards drives!

1 x 250Gb Internal Drive
1 x 300Gb Internal Drive

1 x 400Gb External Drive
1 x 500Gb External Drive
1 x 40Gb Epson P-2000

My goodness that is alot of storage :)

I have heard some photographers use those online storage places...the name escapes me at the moment. I have only used external drives myself but i wanted to ask.

hmm online storage wouldn't be a bad idea, risky though

I have less than a gig left I'm in desperate need of another harddrive :cry:

1 x 250Gb Internal Drive
1 x 300Gb Internal Drive

1 x 400Gb External Drive
1 x 500Gb External Drive
1 x 40Gb Epson P-2000

WOW!! Is that what I have to look forward to?? And to think, I used to keep everything, crappy shots along with the not-so-crappy shots.

hmm online storage wouldn't be a bad idea, risky though

I have less than a gig left I'm in desperate need of another harddrive :cry:

You should always keep at least 15% of your hard drive free otherwise it will take longer to get data off it. If that is your windows drive it will slow down terribly.

WOW!! Is that what I have to look forward to?? And to think, I used to keep everything, crappy shots along with the not-so-crappy shots.

I have 2 copies of everything so effectively I have just over 1Tb of storage that I can use. Backups are essential and also keeping a backed up drive off-site will save your bacon in case of fire/theft.

I must admit to having many crappy shots on my PC though too and I'm going to find the time to delete more.

I also shoot weddings and events and I can shoot 10Gb in a day although I don't do too many in a year. I have been stung by hard drive failure and DVD backup failure so now I keep at least 2 copies of everythiung I have.

Backup is not an option if you want to keep your memories.

Most reactions

Back