Shooting 2D artwork

mida

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm learning how to photograph my paintings and looking for some pointers. I was planning to get a couple of umbrellas with light stands. Then I saw this page http://www.photoflexlightingschool....ng/Product___Still_Life/2D_Artwork/index.html

They use a couple of lightboxes facing each other and they're promoting their own product which is too expensive for me.

Is there another alternative to this? I'm sure there are many ways to do this that's cheap and effective. I could just use plain old dome lights with tissue covering them and position them accordingly. What kind of light bulb is best for paintings?

two lights positioned either side at 45 deg to the artwork, shoot away, look out for hotspots though and if using tungsten lights set white balance accordingly, if film you'll need a filter. H

I would add,

1) use a good medium length lens such as a 50 or 80mm (35mm camera equivalent), and stop down to around f8. They are the sharpest and show less distortion.

2) keep a good distance from the art work

3) if the artwork is glossy or under glass, poke the camera lens through a hole in a large black (paper or cloth) sheet to avoid reflections.

two lights positioned either side at 45 deg to the artwork, shoot away, look out for hotspots though and if using tungsten lights set white balance accordingly, if film you'll need a filter. H

Or you can get tungsten balanced film and you may not need a filter.

I would add,

1) use a good medium length lens such as a 50 or 80mm (35mm camera equivalent), and stop down to around f8. They are the sharpest and show less distortion.

2) keep a good distance from the art work

3) if the artwork is glossy or under glass, poke the camera lens through a hole in a large black (paper or cloth) sheet to avoid reflections.

I like #3 tip, my art has some glossy paint so it should help.

Thank you to everyone else who has contributed their ideas. I will be doing my shoot tonight and see how it all goes.:)

Build your own softbox or use an umbrella. Worst case hang up a white sheet and fire a flash or hotlight from behind to diffuse the light.

Commercial softboxes are a ripoff for something that most people can build from things laying around the house. (Mine is made from an old bedsheet and a real-estate sign, My smaller one a shoebox and a white paper bag)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back