Shooting a 300-Megapixel Photo: Film vs Digital

Very interesting. Not what I expected but I did like the Analog photo overall. Just didn't expect the resolution when zoomed in.

Only 300 mp from a 4x5 neg? I could scan at 1.2 gp if I wanted to, but my software chokes up over 600 mp.

Highlight headroom is consistently better on the digital version.

Only 300 mp from a 4x5 neg? I could scan at 1.2 gp if I wanted to, but my software chokes up over 600 mp.

Well, yeah. Using the right microscope camera and computer-controlled staging you could scan it grain-by-grain. But even here the resolution limit is clearly being met. Some of this is certainly camera shake, this particular camera probably isn't the right choice, a cambo wide or some other such technical camera would have been better suited, but not all.

Of course, the 4x5 has other advantages, like being taken in a single shot.

Highlight headroom is consistently better on the digital version.

but the focal length, framing, white balance, and overall processing are not :p

Does this smell of a prelude to some new camera being released with 100MP? Why? Why does an individual request 100MP, why compare 4x5 film to a stitched 5D3 not a 5DSr or Phase back or even a scan back? (Rental houses are every where) Why not hire some models, props, and a production artist and create a dynamic image?

Sorry but call me skeptical I feel the camera companies want to start the MP race again, while I like certain updates others seem to bog down my computer - stitching Sony's uncompressed files is a lot of fun - no you can't get it in one shot, angle of view/lens distortion at edges

Last edited:
pre- or post- he still missed the mark :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back