shooting a band in a dark room

jarg007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just looking for tips as my friends band wants me to shoot some pictures at their show when they're playing but i understand it will be pretty dark. Are there any tips for this type of setting. I just have a kit lens nikon d3300 built in flash and a tripod so I'll have to make due with that. What kinds of settings would give me decent results?

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I am confident you won't be able to get very good results with that set-up, unfortunately. The best you can hope for is to crank up your ISO to about 3200 (although that camera's high ISO capabilities are very limited), f/3.5, and shoot in aperture priority or manual mode. Indoor photography with low light is why people invest in camera bodies with good high ISO capabilities and good fast prime lenses (f/1.4 - f/1.8) or good zooms @ f/2.8. Good luck!

Decent results may not be acheivable with your gear. While we like to say that it's the photographer and not the gear, there are times when gear matters. It's impossible to suggest specific "settings", however, with your gear, the way I would approach it would thus: Set ISO to the highest usable value. Set your camera to shutter priority and 1/125th of a second. You will likely get under-exposed images, but... I would select single point AF and spot metering and use only the center metering point. Skip the tripod and flash altogether. Make sure you shoot in raw so that you have the most latitude in post-production exposure recovery.

flashes in smaller dark rooms will be majorly distracting.

bands that play in the dark would alwise be wise to have spot lights on them.

they are a small band so playing in a small venue so im not sure if they will have any real light on it but i do like the post production setting I think that might work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back