Shooting a half iron man - First time.

Corbin Lane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to be shooting a Half Iron man for my family of 4 people excluding myself and my main question is what lens should I use, I don't want to spend anything over 1500. The race is not until Fathers Day weekend but I'd really like to get the lens and start shooting with it to get used to it and such. Anyway, I was looking at a Sigma APO 50-500mm f4-6.3 and I was wondering if that would be good enough of if I should go for something bigger. Like a super tele-photo. Any recommendations are welcome even if it's above my limit, I can probably rent it.

Thanks,

Corbin.

What camera? If I say Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS and you have a Nikon, then they're not going to work very well together.

I'm not so sure what to expect from half iron man.. but

For outdoor sports in good light (in my case a few polo games) packing both the 70-200 f/2.8L and 100-400mmL, I sure didn't miss the f/2.8 aperture over the extended reach of the 100-400L.

I shoot with a Sigma 50-500. I get pretty good results wiht it on my 40D, but its heavy, so you too will feel like you completed the "other half of the iron man" LOL. Its a great lens for such a wide zoom range, but of course its not a great as a Canon 100-400. It is shorter and longer though so it can be a "do all" lens if you need it to be. Better get at least a monopod to take with you. Handholding for very long at all is all but impossible, and I work out...a lot. Its heavy!

Derrick

Whoops, I knew I was missing something. I am shooting a Rebel XTi. Anyway, I'll look at that canon. Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'll have to find out where I'm able to shoot at and not get in trouble.

Most reactions

Back