shooting a model on white

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by LearnMyShot, Jan 19, 2010.

1. LearnMyShot

LearnMyShot TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]I shot this model using inexpensive clamp lights, through diffusion tissue....it worked really well for cheap lighting....let me know what you think and any suggestions would be appreciated! Watch my photography lesson to see how this image was created

2. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Doesn't look that good to me, nice bit of noise but then you had to shoot at iso800

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It didn't work really well for me either, but it does show that cheap lighting is somewhat better than no lighting at all.

The shadow across the right eye seems unflattering to the model as does the partially hidden left eye.

The falloff makes a sizable portion of the background gray drawing attention away from the subject.

Consider taking a look at using the Diagonal method for composition.

4. syphlix

syphlix TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the quality is not great but hey it's not a bad start

i'm not sure i like how her right hand is splayed like that... looks stressful

5. willli

willli TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Y critique because you ask.

Overall I will give a 5 in scale of 10

1. The background is not even, meaning if you want to include a vinagetting effect on the photo that's nice but on these photo you have the right top corner gray out and that is cause for the the less light on the that area. You can fix that really easy on PS.

2. Hair Ilumination is non existent the hair is illuminated with the spill light from the Main Light leaving hair areas under exposed and lagging of detail.

3. The eyes are out of focus look like the focus point were her lips instead the eyes.

4. She have beautiful eyes the hair on over her left eye do not work in her favor.

5. Her hands demonstrate like she was projecting stress.

6. As KMH mention her face need more illumination specialty her right eye that really seems unflattering to the model.

Well those are my few points.

6. LearnMyShot

LearnMyShot TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the input. I chose this image out of many from the shoot because of the pose of the model and the sculptured hands. It gives the photograph an attitude and more theatrical effect. The fall off of the background adds dimension to an otherwise flat background. I feel the inexpensive lighting is a nice way to shoot with a continuous light source without breaking the bank. Sorry you had trouble with that. I hope to hear from you in the future!