Shooting a stage show

Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got the job of shooting our school production. The full-dress rehearsal, and the two matinee performances.
This Isnt a payed shoot, just offered for practice and portfolio building.
I've never done a shoot of a stage performance, and tips reccommeded?
specialy for when the lights go dim etc. I really dont want blurry shots!

I think my gear is listed in my signature... I have a little flexi tripod too :D

your lenses don't specify the widest aperture, just rent or borrow the fastest you can get, so you can shoot at something like f1.8, 1.4

I can shoot at f4.5 on the 70-300mm and 5.6 on the little one i think...
Not really in a position to be renting lenses either unfortunatly, but with the stuff ive got how can i get the best possible photos?

Do you know how dark or light the stage is going to be? If there's going to be a lot of stage light put your camera on it's highest ISO (or second highest if very well lit), set your aperture to the largest f stop (f 4.5 or 5.6), use center weight or full metering, set white balance to incandecent (if that's what they're using and use aperture priority mode. I did something similar here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...camera-question-about-semi-auto-exposure.html

There is one good photo in there but it seems I was using spot metering vs center weighted or full. The ISO I was using was 6400 and the stage wasn't that bright, I would say average lighting. You might want to use the smaller lens to get more of the stage/scene.

My recommendation is to test your camera at it's highest ISO just to make sure it's acceptable (not too much noise) and if you haven't done so already - how to use the various metering and modes in the camera (obviously I didn't do that with my shots)

Vinny is giving you a good general set of guidelines. Stage shows are varied. SOme have bright lights. Some have less-bright light. Lighting will vary from sketch to sketch, or song to song. Anyway...one of the biggest problems with stage shows is that many times there will be a dark curtain behind the performers, who will be lighted by spot or floodlights, and the difference can often cause your light meter to over-expose. Over-exposure of a spot-lighted performer can easily happen when the camera's light meter is set to do either an evaluative (Matrix) or a center-weighted metering, when the human subjects are small in the frame and there is a lot of dark stage and dark curtain in the frame. So, be aware that the lighting at many stage shows is non-typical. You need to watch for shutter speeds that dip too slow, and cause either 1) over-exposed actors/singers and or 2) blurred action.

Best of luck, and enjoy the shows and the experience!

Thank you guys! :D
I think its going to be good to be able to do the rehearsal on Friday as well cause it will be like a practice for me, ill test all the different ISO levels. Im hoping its a well lighten stage so I would have to use the flash, though its only the pop-up flash and probably woulding reach the stage anyway I'm thinking!
So ill friday ill post how some of the photos come out and see what you think :D

you will do fine, just play around.. and do show us.

Just a FYI - if you use flash the camera will set the shutter speed to a fixed flash setting. The pop up flash may not be powerful enough to reach the whole stage and with a set shutter speed the photos may come out dark. In those photos I posted I used the ambient light that was on the stage and let the camera change the shutter speed accordingly.

Thank you guys! :D
I think its going to be good to be able to do the rehearsal on Friday as well cause it will be like a practice for me, ill test all the different ISO levels. Im hoping its a well lighten stage so I would have to use the flash, though its only the pop-up flash and probably woulding reach the stage anyway I'm thinking!
So ill friday ill post how some of the photos come out and see what you think :D

But if the camera chagnes the shutter speed accordingly then if its dim then the shutter speed will be slow - And ill get blury photos... not ideal :lol:
And i dont know how high to make my ISO with out noise.. but ill guess ill just play around with it on the rehearsal. heres hoping they have the stage lighten how they will on the actual show.

I can shoot at f4.5 on the 70-300mm and 5.6 on the little one i think...
Not really in a position to be renting lenses either unfortunatly, but with the stuff ive got how can i get the best possible photos?

If the lighting is dim you will have to shoot at ISO3200 do not zoom F5.6 will not cut it but then F4.5 probably wont, you need fast glass because most shots will be blurred with those lenses

But if the camera chagnes the shutter speed accordingly then if its dim then the shutter speed will be slow - And ill get blury photos... not ideal :lol:
And i dont know how high to make my ISO with out noise.. but ill guess ill just play around with it on the rehearsal. heres hoping they have the stage lighten how they will on the actual show.

The A200 gets noisy after ISO400 it's not a great high iso performer

Eventer

With the lenses you have, maybe you should rethink this shoot.

Instead of shooting from where the audience sits, get back/side stage and shoot from those locations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back