Shooting a wedding - from a guest point of view.

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'll be going to my friends wedding this weekend and was wondering from you all what you've found to be the best all around option.

Camera is a D90 and my lens choices are as follows:

Nikon 35mm f/1.8
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Nikon 18-105 f/3.5-5.6
Nikon 70-300 f/4-5.6

I'd prefer a one lens solution as I don't really want to be switching lenses during the ceremony.

My own thoughts are:

Take the 18-105 since the D90 handles high ISO pretty well up to about 3200. This will give me the best range and still be rather compact to take with me. Plus there isn't much movement in a wedding (not like fast action shots anyway).

Second thought is to take the 50mm, simply because it will be my latest addition to my arsenal and I want to try it out :)

What do you think?

You will want to stand back during the ceremony and depending on the size of the church 105mm isn't going to cut it. I would want my 70-200 f/2.8 in this situation. But then f/5.6 with your primary lenses might not produce the best results given the really slow nature of the lenses. It depends on the lighting.

Since you don't really have the appropriate lens for this task, I would take the longer lens since at the max focal length your 18-105 would be at f/5.6 anyway. At least with your longer lens at 100mm you might still be under f/5.6 if you're lucky.

You'll want your fast primes for the reception. Take them along. The 50mm will probably be the most useful of the two, but again this depends on the venue.

Thanks tharmsen, that helps... good point on being at f/5.6 anyway most likely with either zoom.

Was thinking of shooting from the bench so to speak since I'll be sitting next to my wife who probably won't appreciate me leaving her to do this lol.

Personally, I'd take it all.

But then again, my motivations would include possibly impressing a bridesmaid with my big... lens.

Depends on where you are sitting.

I understand the want not to switch lenses during the ceremony, so bring them all and chose the best one for the entire ceremony. If you can get a close enough seat, the 18-105 might be good, but else go for a 200mm long lens.

Then at the reception, you might want to switch up to the 1.8 lenses, either one would be good and again, depends on available space.

Bring them all, and decide for the best one for pre-ceremony, ceremony, post ceremony photos, reception.

I suppose taking the Lowepro Flipside 300 would be an option and just leave it in the vehicle (carries everything but my umbrellas).

This is making me want a fast zoom!

There is always something that will make you want something more in photography.

Maybe rent a fast zoom? Popular wedding lenses are 70-200 f/2.8, 17-55 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8 - with VR if you can get them.

But this may make you want a fast zoom even more... :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back