I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow. It's family, or my girlfriend's family at least. They wanted me to be the primary photographer but I declined because I don't have the required equipment or experience. I will however be doing a lot of candid / photo journalistic stuff for them.

I will be hanging around the bride for the getting ready shots, going along for the on-location formals and I took a bunch of photos at the rehearsal dinner/party last night as well.

I was worried about intruding on the "hired professional" as I know that some pros don't want amateurs hanging around possibly stealing some of their business. It turns out that the guy they hired is the same guy who shot a previous family wedding. He's just a part timer and usually just shoots and hands over the film...so nothing for me to worry about.

Actually, at that last wedding (two years ago), I was just getting into SLR photography but the couple used almost as many of my shots in their wedding album as his shots.

Any tips & encouragement would be appreciated. :oops:

Have fun and take lots of pictures. Most of my wedding work is non-posed, though we do some of the family shots posed. Getting ready pictures are great, and the bride usually loves them. Focus on the emotion of the moment and the pictures will be great!

even if the "hired photographer" is a part timer that doesn't mean he necessarily will appreciate people copying his shots. as a "non full time wedding photographer" myself... I would highly recommend that you use the opportunity you've been given to shoot all the things a "hired photographer" can't get like what the rest of the wedding party is doing while the photographer is shooting the bride and groom. the last thing you want to do is step on the toes of the person that was HIRED to take the pictures.

Hey, all I have to say is good luck! and have fun! I am doing a wedding tomorrow too and nervous as ever. I don't think I will be able to relax about it until after the day is over and when I get the results back...=P

:roll:

Your girl friend will be able to help you get good shots of the family VIPs. Often a friend of the family can help the photographer spot the important folks, and really get some special pics.

I always ask if there is anyone who doesn't have a job at the wedding, but would like one, to help me tell the difference between rich, old Aunt Matilda (who's going to leave the couple millions :wink: ), and the old lady who lives down the street from the church and just comes to every wedding.

ksmattfish said:
I always ask if there is anyone who doesn't have a job at the wedding, but would like one, to help me tell the difference between rich, old Aunt Matilda (who's going to leave the couple millions :wink: ), and the old lady who lives down the street from the church and just comes to every wedding.

Hahahahaha......that's a great idea, b/c I'm sure that I won't know who's who.....good advice!

We always got a short list of the family VIPs from bride & groom, to make sure we didn't leave until we rounded them up, at some point in time, for a couple of shots, candid or formal at the alter stuff. :D

Or maybe just snap B&W's, to offer something a little different. Candid B&W's of the "back room" activity can look way cool. Follow a photojournalist approach and take tons of shots, and don't forget to bracket as much as possible. Wear your roller skates and keep moving in the background. Relax and have fun, though it is a tense, high speed event.

Thanks for all the advice.

I know the pros don't like people to copy their shots but they way this guy works is he gets paid to shoot...not for the prints. So I could shoot every shot better than his...and he still gets paid every penny. He wouldn't even know..unless someone contacted him after and told him so.

That being said...I won't copy his shots at all. I detest taking the ordinary, regular posed shots that everybody & their dog is getting on film & digital. I'm always looking for something unique.

There will be 100 shots of the bride dancing with the groom or her father. But only one of the 10 year old boys sneaking a sip of beer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back