Shooting alone?

Totally depends on my mood. I bring my x100t when I'm with friends. Because it's not really any more obtrusive than a cell phone, it doesn't inhibit my ability to be present in the moment. I like shooting with people too, I almost always shoot when I go on hikes with friends or when we are just hanging around with friends, or even walking the dog.

But there are also times when I want to be alone. But that typically has as much to do with wanting to be alone as it does photography.

I like the variations and contrast these different approaches naturally give my photography. I have a style, but I like to try variations and different approaches to my style as much as possible. I never want my photography to get formulaic, that's why I quit my photography job.

You need an x100t my friend ;)

I want an Olympus OMD MII :)
Yeah I liked those too. I ended up just feeling like the x100t felt more like an extension of my hand, both operationally and feel wise. But yeah, great camera. Also really liked the Ricoh. Just found the FOV a little wide for my tastes.

I enjoy my time around others, and it works out that when I'm shooting I tend to have a team with me.

I tend to work in a non-camera way.
I carry an inconspicuous camera at my waist or down at arm's length and look for and frame pictures in my mind's eye before lifting the camera for a second or two then shooting.
Also, I discard situations as potential picture sources pretty quickly and either move past them or stop and loll around talking to people so I move in erratic fits and starts.
Walking around with someone who is walking at a steady pace, holding a camera up to his/her eye or otherwise being a conspicuous 'photographer' means that I am often waiting for him/her or he/she is waiting for me or he/she is hurting the kind of relationship I want with my surroundings.
Being alone means that I am free to talk or interact with anyone I come across.

OTOH, being with a good companion on a trip means fewer meals alone, someone to split chores with, like finding a place to stay and having someone to talk to when everything is tedious.

Does a novelist want someone around to talk too while he's writing? Does a painter want someone to watch him as he strokes the canvas? Landscape photography is somewhat contemplative process. Distractions, well, they distract.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back