Shooting at night/creative images

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by riddle777, May 15, 2010.

1. riddle777

riddle777 TPF Noob!

Hi,

I recently purchased a Canon 7D, which was my first DSLR. I shoot about 50% video and 50% photos. I was curious if anyone could direct me to a great learning resource. I am confused on what lenses to get for what situations, what settings to use, shooting at night, getting a nice creative touch, and just the camera overall. I am slowly learning but would like to speed up the process with your help.

Thanks!

2. Ryan L

Ryan L TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A 7d for your first DSLR, nice. IT should serve you well for some time to come.

Canon USA Consumer Products - EF Lenses 101

After that go to google.com and type away. You will be reading for months. Have fun with it.

3. D-B-J

D-B-J Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Primes--often a 1.8 to 2.8 aperture, fixed focal length, and oftentimes have SUPERB picture quality.

Standard zooms-say 17-55--just for your regular everyday situations.

Wide angle-10-20-- for when you want as much of the scene in one picture as possible.

Fisheye--also similar to wideangle, but they give you a circular aspect to your photos

Long zoom-300+mm-- often used for wildlife and subjects where you dont want to be close.

Canon has a line of f4 lenses, that are good for the average-photographer. They also make f2.8 versions, which are considered to be more of the "professional" lenses, and often cost ALOT!

If you are unsure what you want, rent a few, or go to a store and try them out. And READ as many articles and reviews as possibe.

4. leftypony

leftypony TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm so extremely jealous that 7D is your first DSLR ... I saved my pennies and finally got a 50D (2nd DSLR ... 5th SLR)

5. KKJUN

KKJUN TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

In all seriousness, read. A lot. First off, read the manual or at least watch the introduction-dvd to your camera (if there's one). Google stuff, read the stickied threads in this section. That should provide you with all the basic information. Also visit this forum a lot, I'm here for like half a year, and I've learned A LOT through it.

6. LearnMyShot

LearnMyShot TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  7. Canon_In_7D_Major

Canon_In_7D_Major TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My first DSLR as well! Had it for a few months now and still am in love. You mentioned interest in video... Learn directly from the King: Philip Bloom. His "Learn 2 Shoot Great Video On Your Canon 7D" is priceless and practical... He covers lenses, audio, lighting, actual config tweaks of the 7D for video, must-have gear and more.

I cannot recommend highly enough. Check out the works on his site if you need some inspiration: philipbloom.co.uk