Shooting at NIGHT... Need some TIPS, TRICKS or Words of WISDOM!

ajandnickysmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend of mine wants me to take some pics of his "rapper" friend (he's trying to promote him right now. SOOOOOO they want to do it late at night on the brooklyn promonade!? Never did anything like this i'm used to shooting kids and babies in natural light during the day!?

Any suggestions?? I have the Nikon d90, a 50mm 1.8, 18-55, 28-70, 55-200, 70-300. Also have one of those nifty little fisheye lenses, and yes of course a tri pod, and also an sb600 speedlight. (just so you know what i have to work with!)

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!

Just have him throw up lots of gang signs, have multiple firearms present, and have a complete disregard for the safety and dignity of women and you'll have an A+ shoot.

But in all seriousness, bring your flash. And probably your 50mm. I've never been on the Brooklyn Promenade, so I really give you direct ideas.

Okay, some ramblings in no particular order: Go out and rent a 24-70 2.8 and bill it to the client. Your 50 1.8 is about the only lens out of that list that will do you much good at night. While you're at it, I would look for a couple of extra speedlights too.

Assuming that none of that is in the cards, then you're going to have to fall back on what you do best; natural lighting. Only difference is, this time, "natural" light will come from streetlights. I have no idea what sort of light will be at this venue, but assuming it's typical city at night lighting, I would go for a gritty look (which often works well with these sort of clients).

I would suggest the typical "gang" posed under streetlights and that sort of thing; high contrast, deep shadow. Using your SB600 off camera, and some big pieces of coloured card stock as reflectors (you'll need an assistant) should get you fill light.

A few thoughts: Make sure your clients are relaxed and understand that they may have to sit still for longer than normal periods. Scout the location (at the time you intend to shoot) a day or two ahead of time, preferably with one or more of the clients, and figure out what sort of light you have to work with, know what your highest usable ISO will be, and make sure you have a shooting plan (a general outline of what sorts of shots you intend to take, where, etc). Also, don't be afraid to take charge - tell the clients what needs to be done.

Good luck!

LOL!! Good one!

Thank you both for the response! It's much appreciated! I would have loved to scope out the place prior but He only asked me last night for tonight so i'm kinda going in blind!!! We shall see what happens!! THANKS AGAIN!! Oh... and i've been saving my pennies for the 24-70 2.8!!!

Something else I was thinking about. Noise actually might not be a bad thing with a shoot like this. If you need more light, at the very least, try bumping that ISO up as far as it will go. B&W with a grainy look might just give them a gritty look they'd like. However you decide to go, this might be something worth atleast trying.

also remember, if this is taking place in NYC, beware because the city just passed tougher new photography rules, specifically about needing permits for any non-handheld equipment. If you get caught, they may fine you. Check your local rules.

Found these at another forum recently:

NYC.gov - Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting

NYC.gov - Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting - Production News

https://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsroom/film_photo_guidelines/parks_film_photo_guidelines.html

Photographing on the Streets of NYC: Stills Allowed and Stills Permitted | hdhd

Just FYI - better safe than sorry.

shouldn't have too much problem w/ a flash. just make sure your lighting works for your location.

Most reactions

Back