Shooting birds

:lol: You do have a thing with animals... remember we've seen the pony pictures

Yes, and all the Jaguars, Crocodiles and Bears .. but lucky for me, those weren't after my chips ;)

hi Tangerini

When I got started doing this, I went to se amimals in captive situations.. there are a few places around here, but I was in the Manila Zoo when I got hooked... here is one of my first shots...

http://www.pbase.com/raymondjbarlow/image/55602131

then, I started asking around, and found some good places around here to find birds... Airic and Canoncan really got me going., and then I got into this birders mass email list, and I still recieve emails everyday on bird locations.

Then, you need a DSLR.. and a long lens.. I started with a 70-300 and it was/is still good enough for some shooting. Find some people who have busy bird feeders, and hang around their back yards..sit still, and let them get used to you, and shoot with the sun at your back. Always try to have a backround that is not brighter then the bird, and try to make sure nothing human oreinted is in the picture..even the feeder.

When there is nothing much going on, we go to a marsh that has a long boardwalk.. with some peanuts.. this brings the birds in close, and the fun is getting them to perch on the right twig, in the right light.

there are 3 things you need to learn how to do, 1 .. find the dang birds!! 2... set up your camera.. iso,aperture,and shutter speed for the situation, and the focusing controls.. and 3 .. execution... getting your camera on the bird, in focus and firing at the right time.

It takes practice, and most of all.. tenacity.. and patience does help.

It is fun, and as much fun as it is, it is frustrating.. I miss way more then I catch.. Kind of like Golf.. if you hit one good shot, you become motivated to keep trying.

hopw all this helps!!

It is every addictive, but good clean (expnesive) fun.

take good care.

Thank you for the wonderful and much appreciated advice, yours are the type of pictures I dream and aspire to achieve.
I'm sure (if you don't mind) I'll be picking your brain more so as I get going.

Thank you for the wonderful and much appreciated advice, yours are the type of pictures I dream and aspire to achieve.
I'm sure (if you don't mind) I'll be picking your brain more so as I get going.

you are welcome!! I can't get in here and look at every post... 8 forums keep me busy, plus a lot more., but send me a pm, and I will try to help you.

take care.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back