Shooting Canon 5D Mark III in M mode with auto ISO

k.udhay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I have a wedding to be shot in January next year. I plan to hire 5D mark III. I have used it once for a marriage few months back.

Last time when I used, I used Aperture priority mode most of the time. At places where the flash was lighting, I adjusted my exposure compensation to negative side by few stops to get correct exposure. This time I plan to use Manual mode with auto ISO. I was going through this video in youtube to understand M mode with auto ISO:

At 1:09, he explains in 5D mark III, adjusting exposure compensation is not possible, if I use M mode with Auto ISO combo. Can any 5D mark III user confirm this pl.?

So, you're shooting a wedding (one of the most complicated, demanding and stressful sessions possible) in 2 months using a rented camera with settings you don't have any experience with. Well, good luck.

Last edited:
So, you shoot a wedding (one of the most complicated, demanding and stressful sessions possible) in 2 months using a rented camera with settings you don't have any experience with. Well, good luck.

I have to whole heartedly agree with this. Knowing your tools is of utmost importance, that's your foundation.

If you're shooting weddings, asking about camera functionality on such a basic level is a HUGE red flag.

At 1:09, he explains in 5D mark III, adjusting exposure compensation is not possible, if I use M mode with Auto ISO combo. Can any 5D mark III user confirm this pl.?

This shouldn't be the case.

the body is adjusting the ISO based on the metering. you should still be able to dial in expo. comp., in M mode, when using Auto ISO, to determine the final exposure.

I still have (and use) my 5D III and also own a 5D IV.

Both exposure compensation and flash exposure compensation work in aperture mode on the 5D III. This is my probably my most-used shooting mode.

If you're using an E-TTL flash, then you should be using flash-exposure compensation (not normal exposure compensation) to de-power the flash.

Av mode will meter for the ambient light (so you don't have light fall-off issues) but fire the flash to illuminate your intended subject. An E-TTL flash will adjust power to make sure it doesn't over-expose the subject.

With a manual (non E-TTL) flash, you could stop down the aperture to reduce light, but that would reduce both ambient and flash (everything gets darker). If you just de-power the flash only (don't change the aperture) then you'll fix the flash over-exposure without dimming the ambient light.

If the flash is an E-TTL flash then it should have a flash-exposure compensation adjustment.

BTW, when I shoot in Av mode with flash, I go into the "External Speedlight control" and set the "Flash sync. speed in Av mode" to the value "1/200-1/60 A" setting (the default is "Auto" which lets the camera pick any shutter speed it wants). The range setting (1/200-160) means it gets to pick the shutter speed as long as it remains within that range. Since the exposure on the intended subject is based on flash, it wont really alter how the subject is lit ... but it will alter how much background ambient lighting is picked up. But in cases where the background is fairly dim... it wont allow the camera to pick a shutter speed where the shutter speed is too long for a hand held exposure. The 1/60th limit works pretty well.

Both exposure compensation and flash exposure compensation work in aperture mode on the 5D III. This is my probably my most-used shooting mode.

Thank you, Campbell. Have you tried M mode with auto ISO and exposure compensation together?

So, you shoot a wedding (one of the most complicated, demanding and stressful sessions possible) in 2 months using a rented camera with settings you don't have any experience with. Well, good luck.

I have to whole heartedly agree with this. Knowing your tools is of utmost importance, that's your foundation.

If you're shooting weddings, asking about camera functionality on such a basic level is a HUGE red flag.

I appreciate your intention to save me from a huge risk. I will be one of the three shooters in this marriage. Also, I use my Nikon cropped sensor with M mode and Auto ISO function. So I am confident with this setting.

Curious why youre renting a Canon over a Nikon then?

Only thing I can think of is primary shooter uses canon and will end up editing all files and doesn't want to arse around with different colour profiles from different brand cams

Only thing I can think of is primary shooter uses canon and will end up editing all files and doesn't want to arse around with different colour profiles from different brand cams

yeah id be mad too if I was a canon shooter and my second's images were much better in terms of DR, color and bit depth :p

It's good you're not the only shooter. From your original post it seemed that way and it would be a terrible idea. I have yet to see a photographer who would be able to cover the whole wedding in such situation, even if he owned the camera and had previous experience with it...

Anyway, I'm wondering why you're worried about exposure compensation, when you can easily alter it yourself. If it won't work for you, simply turn auto iso off and use ISO to compensate if you don't want to mess with shutter speed and aperture...

yeah id be mad too if I was a canon shooter and my second's images were much better in terms of DR, color and bit depth :p
"Much better" will it be only when you see two images and can easily say which was taken by which camera. THEN we can talk about one being "much better" than the other. Please don't provoke meaningless flamewars if we can prevent it...

Fun is allowed on forums

"Much better" will it be only when you see two images and can easily say which was taken by which camera. THEN we can talk about one being "much better" than the other. Please don't provoke meaningless flamewars if we can prevent it...

never!

Thank you, Campbell. Have you tried M mode with auto ISO and exposure compensation together?

Yeah: the question remains: Can the Canon 5 D Mark 3 shoot in Manual exposure mode, with AUTO ISO enabled, with Exposure Compensation used? Not in Av mode, as T. Campbell mentioned works, but in Manual exposure mode. Can the 5D-III do Manual exposure in AUTO ISO mode and allow the shooter use Exposure Compensation? The Canon guy in the video claims NO, it can not.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back