Shooting Color and B&W simultaneously

eyebidder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,
First time here. Just got a D7000 and someone told me I could set the camera to shoot both Color & BW at the same time(camera will produce two pictures) but I cannot figure out how to set this up. Do I need to use both SD slots and then assign instructions for each?
Thank in advance for any assistance!

I'm not sure of your end use of the photos, but is it possible to post process the color photos on the computer instead of taking double the photos?

I suspect what is being referred to is to set the camera up to shoot monochrome, but in the .NEF (raw) format. The output on the monitor will be in black & white, but the image file will have all the color data. This will allow you to edit based on all those colors in post to your hearts' content.

I suspect what is being referred to is to set the camera up to shoot monochrome, but in the .NEF (raw) format. The output on the monitor will be in black & white, but the image file will have all the color data. This will allow you to edit based on all those colors in post to your hearts' content.
Is this possible? Shooting with RAW and JPG with the camera set to monochrome, then the RAW file would be color while the JPG would be B&W?

Is this possible? Shooting with RAW and JPG with the camera set to monochrome, then the RAW file would be color while the JPG would be B&W?

It's not only possible -- it's unavoidable. You can't record a B&W raw file unless you have a special camera designed specifically to do that. All raw files from normal cameras can only be color. If you set the camera to process the raw to a B&W JPEG then you get that B&W along with the raw original.

Joe

It's not only possible -- it's unavoidable.........

Yep. By definition, raw files must contain all the color data.

It's not only possible -- it's unavoidable. You can't record a B&W raw file unless you have a special camera designed specifically to do that. All raw files from normal cameras can only be color. If you set the camera to process the raw to a B&W JPEG then you get that B&W along with the raw original.

Joe
Ok, that's what I was thinking. So, then it's possible to have color (RAW) and black and white (JPG) of the same shot in camera, but probably not color (JPG) and B&W (JPG) of the same shot in camera?

Joe
Ok, that's what I was thinking. So, then it's possible to have color (RAW) and black and white (JPG) of the same shot in camera, but probably not color (JPG) and B&W (JPG) of the same shot in camera?

Yep, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's an odd camera out there that provides the double JPEG option.

Joe

In camera is monochrome, not B&W.

In other words B&W is not the same thing as monochrome.
Monochrome won't have as much contrast as a B&W and will look somewhat 'flat'.

The best way to make a high quality B&W photo from a color photo is to do the conversion post process:
The Photographer's Black and White Handbook: Making and Processing Stunning Digital Black and White Photos
Creative Black and White: Digital Photography Tips and Techniques
The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop (2nd Edition)

And if you want prints:
The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing

If a mediocre B&W is OK, let the camera make it a half-assed monochrome photo.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back