shooting in a dark building plese help

iPhoto17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
today is saturday, which means we have cosmic bowling, the bowling alley manager wants me to shoot pictures during cosmic, in which, all the lights are turned off except for the front counter and snack bar, so it gets really really really dark.

black lights are turned on above .

id hate to become depended on a tripod for this situation, but if my shutter speed is going to be slow i feel like i have no choice if i dont want blurry pictures

whats a good ISO, 800 with tripod? i might be able to use flash since there isnt a league tonight, but i think the flash will take away from the natural lighting

any help is appreciated, thanks

I was shooting in the exact same situation not long ago...

ISO 1600, f/1.4, 1/50th...and even that wasn't good enough for a lot of them.

What camera/lenses do you have?

If you can go to ISO 3200 or 6400, it shouldn't be too bad.

800 won't do it though...

im using a nikon d3000 with an 18-55mm lense, ISO goes up to 1600, then HI-1 whatever that is, and 3.5-5.6 f-stop

im afraid that the pictures will get pretty grainy with an ISO that high, i guess id rather sacrifice a motion blurred picture with a bit of grain

If you use a tripod and your lens has VR, turn off the VR while the camera is on the tripod.

i just got back from work with my cosmic bowling pictures,im too tired to upload them right now so if you have AIM or something you can private message me your screen name ill send it in a file transfer.

i gotta learn up on my camera and how it works in dark situations, but for my first time with this , id say i didnt do terribly bad, the mechanic tonight was a phtographer in the marine corps and he has been helping me alot with my photography as well on what settings to have and whatnot, he knows just about everything with SLR cameras

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back