shooting in an abandond building by the ocean

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by saycheese76, Apr 11, 2009.

1. saycheese76

saycheese76 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I knew about a bunch of old Navy buildings out on the WA coast, so my friend and I jumped in the car and headed out. C&C welcome and thanks for looking!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What navy base is this? Sandpoint? Anyways, good shots. I'd maybe like to see the surroundings a bit more lit up but they do look pretty good as they are.

Whidbey Island has some pretty cool bunkers too if you head that far north to shoot. It's a pretty good day trip to hit up Deception Pass and then down to the Naval Base there. They even have a huge cannon.

3. saycheese76

saycheese76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! It is about 20 mi north of Ocean Shores.

4. EhJsNe

EhJsNe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    very well done.
    I agree with Sherman Banks that the bankround COULD be lit up more, but they are fine as they are.

Very well done.

5. Derek Zoolander

Derek Zoolander TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    nice shots. could you explain the lighting set up?

6. saycheese76

saycheese76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks!

All used an LP120 shot thru an umbrella in close. #1 used an additional LP120 shot thru a little diffuser as a rim light off to the right and behind the subj. I know they're a bit dark on the ambient, but I was going for that. Now that you folks mention it, almost all of my flash stuff is at least 1 stop above the ambient, if not more. I'm a bit of a 1 trick pony in that regard. I haven't been doing much where the lighting ratio is closer. I need to work on using the flash as fill and the ambient as key so it looks natural. The next time I can get someone in front of my camera, I'm going to try using a flash/sun crosslight setup. I got one of my boys to stand still long enough to squeeze a few shots off with that lighting setup, and I was pretty pleased with the result. Thanks again for looking!
    Jason