Shooting in high light?

Monkey89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've recently undertaken a project to photograph as many native plants and animals on my area as possible. A lot of the things I want to photograph appear their best or only come out during the hottest (and brightest) time of day. I've been encountering problems with the harsh light. Today I measured 130,000 lux. I was wondering if there was any advice I could receive as to how I could get my photos taken out there to not look so bright or washed out, or if it's simply going to be a matter of using trial and error try and get my settings right.

Holding/clamping a mesh screen between the subject & light source can soften it considerably. Might not be practical for the animals but should be workable for flowers.
Net curtains over a homemade frame will work, but purchased options might be easier to pack.

Also, take advantage of the bright light to use a CPL filter. As noted above a scrim is often used to soften or add a shadow and you can also add in a reflector to put some light back in where you want it. I would use all these tools close to home before trying to get settings right out in the field. Sounds like an interesting project.

At 130,000 Lux the exposure would be ISO100, 1/500, f/14.

In my opinion, you should use an nd filter (neutral density filter).

Last edited:
In my opinion, you should use an nd filter (neutral density filter)
That won't change the nature of the light.
If you need a wide aperture or long exposure to get the image you need an ND will help otherwise it's not so bright as to be a problem for any camera in pure brightness.
The CPL Dave suggested will reduce the light but it's use is to reduce reflections and so boost colours etc.

In my opinion, you should use an nd filter (neutral density filter)
That won't change the nature of the light.
If you need a wide aperture or long exposure to get the image you need an ND will help otherwise it's not so bright as to be a problem for any camera in pure brightness.
The CPL Dave suggested will reduce the light but it's use is to reduce reflections and so boost colours etc.

Petrochemist you're right, but depend on the want of Monkey89. still in my opinion, nd filter is a good solution to reduce the light level without altering the natural condition of enlightenment, whereas you can reduce the light even one stop.

Last edited:
I saw no mention, so I will; use manual settings and underexpose by 1/2 - 1 stop and use off camera flash for fill/key light. To underexpose you may need to use CPL , ND filer or lower ISO as much as you can to keep aperture reasonable.

While the light level the OP stated is unusually high as it's about a stop brighter than sunny 16 but it's not the light level is the problem. With an ISO of 100 most camera should be able to expose correctly. Without a sample pic I guess that the light is really harsh and contrasty.

CalylophusHartwegii.jpg

AbroniaFragrans2.jpg

Not the best photos, but the most decent examples I can get from my phone at work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back