Shooting in low light - fast shutter

You're certainly welcome. It think you're working in the right direction, you just need to keep shooting.

Once you get the hang of panning, you'll wonder why you didn't learn the technique sooner. It's awesome to have something like your riders in perfect (sometimes) focus and the background is blurred.

I would suggest shooting in Manual ("M") because it's not likely on either shutter or aperture priority that you will get the desired combination of shutter and aperture for the effect you want.

Hope all goes well. If you get some cool shots this weekend, please post them

~Michael~

Hey Daf, I was around on some other thread and TCImages had a wonderful gallery of MXC images.

TCProimages

Check them out and take notice to the panning shots where the background is partly blurred, that's what you're going for. This technique used right, give amazing results

~Michael~

Hey Michael - sorry for the late reply, I didn't get a reply notification e-mail for some reason...

Thanks for that link! I keep getting

Internal Server Error - Read

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

but I will do some searching and see if I can find his gallery. :)

Thanks again!

PS - been practicing "panning" on traffic and definitely seeing how it works! I'm at about 1 in 10 on decent captures but will continue to practice. ;)

Hi,

I haven't processed all the photos from this weekend - I do think I have made to some advances tho. I will post the link shortly.

Below are some of the "panning" attempts, out of the photos I have processed, that I thought came out pretty well for the first time! :thumbup:

Thanks again for everyone's help!

panning1.jpg

panning2.jpg

panning3.jpg

panning4.jpg

panning5.jpg

panning6.jpg

panning7.jpg

Thanks, JenLavazza!

I do, too. I guess that's okay as long as I realize it's a departure from reality or proper color management? I get a lot of compliments from the riders and parents about the "snappy" colors. :D

I did switch to RAW this weekend and am learning the interface on the fly. I do have to say I like it better ... but it seems to have made my shutter speeds a little sluggish at times. Larger files I guess?

Thanks again!

What speed does your SD card write at? That could be what's making things seem "slow" with the camera... Your memory buffer is filling up faster than the camera can write to the card, as those RAW files are twice the size of the JPEGs that you were shooting.

The panning shots came out pretty good!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back