Shooting in Low Light

sample.jpg
So the blur is subject motion blur because the shutter speed was way to slow.

When you look in the viewfinder it shows the current lens aperture, shutter speed, ISO and the exposure meter. You need to be aware of what those numbers are and what effect they will have on the image every time you take a picture.

IIRC you aspire to be a wedding photographer. Good wedding photographers are some of the most technically savvy photographers around. Keep striving to understand your equipment, be very familiar with the contents of your equipment users manuals, and (if you haven't already) start a collection of recommended photography books and you'll do fine.

A good first book to get is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

1/3's is pretty much out of the question for shooting people... unless they are dead.

also the exif data says the flash did not fire... so... caching!!! there is the problem

I was going to say, that photo certainly doesn't look like there was any flash...........unless it was across the room.

Low light normally equates to low shutter speed.

No, you can shoot low light with a fast(er) shutter speed - wide open, high iso.

Exactly
ISO 3200, F5, 1/640 5D and 200mmF2.8L
497395695_fEGSV-L.jpg
That's pretty cool! Thanks... so another thing for me to do is UP the ISO.... I have another question. Someone was telling me to purchase gels for color correction. I've done a search for that an don't even know what they are. Does anyone have a link I could go to or maybe even tell me how it's used. OR are yo talking about FILTERS.... My camera came with a few of those.... THen again a few days ago read a thread on here when a guy used the wrong filter during an event and every one came out blurry. Any advice is appreicated.

The gels go on the flash. Flash is made to be close to the same as sunlight. When you shoot indoors under artifical light, tungsten or flouresent, you now have mixed lighting, sunlight from your flash and tungsten or flouresent, and no way of setting white balance accurately. So with a gel on the flash you make it look like the artificial light you're working with and not sunlight.

I recommend the book "Light: Science and Magic" by Hunter, Faqua, and Biver. It's a great reference book for understanding all types of lighting and has a great section on portraiture.

Our brains automatically adjust for the different colors of artificial light so it all looks, seems like sunlight to use.

Camera's don't have a brain. They see the light as it really is.

Another thing to think about when shooting low light with long shutters. Like another post stated, shooting people in low lighting is tough and you would need to drag the shutter and use the flash to freeze (2nd curtain). When shooting stationary, definitely use a tripod, use a cable release/wireless (i use cable. You definitely don't want to touch the camera, even if its to press the shutter. You may also want to look into the custom functions for mirror lockup. I always use mirror lockup when shooting night photography, or anything with a couple second and longer exposures.

btw i dont think that picture of the pianist on stage would be considered low lighting. Lol I see you shot iso 3200, but you'd still prolly get at least 1/60 out of a much lower iso. The stage lighting typically is plenty of lighting to shoot w/o a flash.

Most reactions

Back