Shooting In Manual - What A Pleasure!

I'm still trying to get it centered on zero. I need to try more lighting situations.

Again, I'm not sure how a Nikon works, but with most cameras the jog wheel can adjust both the aperture AND the shutter speed. There's probably a button or procedure for switching your jog wheel to "shutter speed" adjustment. Your meter should zero with shutter speed adjustment. Check your ISO also.
I can adjust the aperture and the ISO with the wheel, but i'm having trouble with the SS. I'm gonna go grab my manual.

i have the entire book in PDF format if anyone would like... although i guess that's illegal? =\

i have the entire book in PDF format if anyone would like... although i guess that's illegal? =\

Would it be illegal? I could see it with the latest Harry Potter, but the only people who could benefit from that manual are people who have a copy of it already, and having it in PDF would make it searchable.

I would like to find something like that for the D70s.

eta: I found this guy who has manuals for lots of older stuff. This link may come in handy later, so I wanted to pass it along. http://www.butkus.org/chinon/index.html

et(also)a: Nikonians has a full suite of current manuals available. http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/manuals/manuals.html

Last edited:
true, but to share it publicly would probably be illegal. nonetheless, if anyone wants it they can instant message me: ultimateblahman or PM me

I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that if you google for many manuals (of relatively recent products) you can find them online... At least that has been the case for me :)

Alan, this thread has inspired me to try & find my old Lunasix (sp) light meter & do some experimenting. Gawd, it must be twenty years since I used it last.

Alan, this thread has inspired me to try & find my old Lunasix (sp) light meter & do some experimenting. Gawd, it must be twenty years since I used it last.

Sounds great! Are you doing that because your current camera does not have a meter or are you doing it just for fun?

i wasn't talking about manuals, i was talking about the book "Understanding Exposure". I have that in PDF

You dont HAVE to buy it. They have the book at nearly every library nationwide.

Alan,

Congratulations on your graduation from picture taker to budding photographer. Before anyone goes crazy, I am not speaking strictly of your use of manual mode, but of you beginning understanding of the relationship between light, aperture, shutter speed & ISO. While manual mode obviously makes you think of all of those, so does the use of the Aperture and Shutter value settings. They all have their uses, their advantages and disadvantages and learning them will come with time.

It is always good to see someone go from the "I just let the camera do everything in Auto Mode and usually get nice pictures" to knowing how it all works together and being able to recognize the problem areas in any given situation and correct for them. So enjoy the ride, it can be fun one.

Ok thanks for the feedback. The jog wheel next to the shutter buttom adjusted the aperture. I couldn't get the meter down to zero. I scrolled through f-stops 4.2 through 29 and the meter is still lit up on the ride side, heading towards the negative symbol. I guess I just have to give in and sacrifice hours to read the manual.
Your Aperture is your front wheel and, the Shutter speed is the rear wheel. You adjust the 2 till you get the desired Exposure. Also you may need to tweak your ISO too, it maybe too slow.

Most reactions

Back